how do I lock the aperture ring in a Nikon 24 2.8 non d lens ?

jerry_m

<p>I have had this lens for years but never really used it, so I lent it to a friend, and now the aperture ring is not locked at minimum aperture. There is a little white button which goes in and out a tiny bit and an orange button next to it which does not seem to move. The aperture ring turns freely which would be ok on an fe type camera, but I want to use the lens on a D50. I know I could just set it at f22 and forget it, but it seems it used be able to be locked in there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks----Jerry</p>

<p>To lock the aperture on a Type 1 AF lens, you have to set the aperture ring to the minimum aperture (f/22 for that lens) and then push and twist the little button on the side (I can’t remember if that should be clockwise or anti-clockwise). To unlock, reverse the process.</p>

<p>Thanks. That is what I have been trying, but the little button doesn't turn at all, just goes very slightly in or out. Frustration is starting to set in---maybe it is time to chill out and schedule a trip to a camera shop and hope some body there can do a quick fix. Jerry</p>

<p>That button should be spring loaded. There is a little white arrow. If the arrow points towards the lens mount direction, the aperture ring is not locked. If you press it down and also turn it clockwise by 90 degrees so that the arrow points towards f22, you can rotate the aperture ring to f22 and lock it to that setting.</p>

<p>However, you can use this lens on the D50 as long as the aperture is set to its minimum, namely f22 for this lens. It does not have to be locked. The lock merely prevents the aperture ring from unintentional changes.</p>

<p>Not sure it is worthwhile to fix this lens at this point, especially if the fix is not absolutely necessary.</p>

<p>Thanks Steven and Shun. I will keep trying to turn the button so the white mark faces f22. barring that I will just set the aperture to f22 as it should be anyway and hope I do not accidentally turn it (old habits die hard) Thanks again---</p>

<p>When unlocked, the white dot should point to the aperture ring (as in the photo above). To lock the aperture ring at f/22, the white dot on the button should point to the orange index mark. If I remember correctly, the button should "pop up" at f/22 if the index mark and dot are aligned.</p>

<p>If the aperture ring is at f/22 and you can't push down on the button and rotate it clockwise to align with the orange index mark, it might be broken or fouled underneath. It is a rather fragile mechanism, which is why Nikon wisely replaced it with the much simpler and stronger "slide lock" on the subsequent AF-N and AF-D versions.</p><div>00b164-503489584.jpg.610e57397388bccd5d9ef32fc6e085c5.jpg</div>

<p>You guys are great ! After a nights rest, I read your posts this morning and looked at your pictures. I made sure again the aperture was at f 22, and the white dot faced the orange index mark. I guess the mechanism is fragile or fouled as you said, so I'll just use it as it is and remember not to try to turn the aperture ring. And now some really good news for me. One of my nieces decided she was really not into photography any more and was getting rid of her old film stuff, so she asked me if I could use any of it. Well, last night she brought me a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (n) and a Nikkor 28-105 AF D lens. I did a quick test of each, and man, am I a happy camper today. Time to go out for some shooting this weekend. Thanks again--- Jerry</p>