How do I get a brown tint on a photo?

The fastest is to open Hue / Saturation (Cmd/Ctrl+U). Check the box that says "Colorize." This will create a monotone

image of whatever color the "Hue" slider is currently set at (usually whatever color is showing on the Tools palette).

Bend the Hue slider until the tone matches what you're after. Adjust Saturation and Lightness to taste, and "Blam-O."

TMC

exactly what TM said. Or buy a epson 2400 and up, when printing in BW mode you can ask to tint it colder, warmer, sepia or with your color choice, but you have to spend 600$...TM have a cheaper option : )

You can also, use a empty layer on top of your bw, fill it with the color you want and change the blending mode for color, then adjust the opacity to suit your taste.

Do you mean like this?

http://www.photo.net/photo/6736909

If so, I'd have to open the PSD file to see exactly how that one was done, but I'd guess I did as above, and then lowered the Opacity of the colorize level to about 75%, so that it was "tinted" and not colorized. I may have put another Sat layer on it to desat master, and increase Sat the red channel-- from looking at it, that would be my guess.

The last, of course, you can leave out if not your taste.

I use the "B&W adjustment layer" approach for simple tones.

That said I am tempted to get away from the computer and experiment with less geeky approaches; you can apparently stain very successfully using teabags! There was a recipe in Black & White Photography magazine in the UK this month ... I'm tempted to give it a go but am not sure how it will work (I use Ilford Gallerie papers). Obviously there would be infinately less flexibility and choice in this process but it might give a more traditional feel to prints as it covers the entire page including the borders and the back (with no ink cost!). Has anyone else has tried mixing wet toning/staining processes with digital prints?

I made a triptych as a gift for a friend using Galerie. I "antiqued" gray-tone prints by lightly rubbing them with coffee and leaving

them outside for a few days where they would get lots of direct sun. Since the inks were archival, they didn't fade as much as I

had hoped (I guess they were doing their job ;) but the coffee stains gave a slight unevenness to the photo that gave a cool

effect. I was happy with it.

My next adventure in that regard is going to be a similar process, but run a "film grain" filter, and use Hahnemuhle's Museum Rag

instead of a gloss.