How do I close my account?

kerem_c._s.

Hello I emailed customer support 3 times in last 3 months about this matter. I'm trying to close my Photo.net

account, or either disable it and cannot find the option in the website. The reason is, photo.net shows up on

google when you search my name and I cannot opt out this option, which is very wrong if you ask me. But anyway,

is there a way to close, delete, erase, disable, inactivate an account here? Or am I just stuck with my

information being shared via the most used search engine on Earth?

Regards,

K

When one posts on a BBS, Gopher, or the WWW; or writes ones name in wet concrete; or writes a letter to a newspaper; what one "writes" may be there past one's lifetime. Even if the tree with ones carved initials is cut and burned a photo can exist of it; and be scattered on many mediums. Snap shots are sometimes recorded of some web material; so even if your name is competely nixed it can some up as history; what you wrote; the snapshot stored of the webpage. Plus sometimes folks save web pages with interesting info for future reference; it could be reposted 30 years from now. Whats wrong is not understanding this stufff; thats been around even when old Gopher ruled; or a BBS; or writing on a rock 2000 years ago. <BR><BR>Thus if I tangle with Bob about whether a Goobercron "is sharpest at" F8 and he says F5.6; and Dave says the BritneySpearogon is better; this debate/spat/discusion might be found years later; when a new product is released in 2020 called Goobercron Laundry soap for Westinghouse 3 belt frontloaders. Right now the phrase Goobercron one has one google hit. BritneySpearogon has none; is a top military secret; is use by MI5.

I don't know who you have been emailing, but it wasn't "customer support". Unless you have just been making up email addresses to send to.

I have gotten nothing from you ever at contact@photo.net and that is the address you should be using.

However, the answers you have received above are all correct.

Strike that, I have one email from you yesterday.

Photo.net does not have 24/7 customer support. It is just me answering

hundreds of requests for help.

Please try to be more patient. I answer every email in the order it

was received. Sending multiple emails does not speed up the process,

it just pops your issue back up to the top of the list and annoys me.

• 8 years later...
I am pretty sure I closed this account a long time before you got your new look. There are 400 plus pics that I want to be deleted, there doesn't seem to be a way to do it in bulk, which is crazy, and I am not even sure deleting them one at a time works. Today I received a phishing email, saying this account was going to be automatically renewed, which is why I came to look at this account now. Have not been able to find where I can close this account in any of the settings.

I am pretty sure I closed this account a long time before you got your new look. There are 400 plus pics that I want to be deleted, there doesn't seem to be a way to do it in bulk, which is crazy, and I am not even sure deleting them one at a time works. Today I received a phishing email, saying this account was going to be automatically renewed, which is why I came to look at this account now. Have not been able to find where I can close this account in any of the settings.

Also I am pretty sure (100%) that I received an email from this site saying that I needed to download all my images because they were going to disappear around the time I asked the account to be closed, guess that didn't happen. I did manage, one at a time to delete the images that were not in a gallery. At least it is easy to delete a gallery in one fell swoop.

The email many have received in the last day is spam. Please refer to some comments at

Your Photo.net Subscription Confirmation and Receipt <-- WTH?!?!

and

Renewal

Unfortunately we have multiple threads on the same topic at this time.

I expect the login names and email addresses have either been leaked or were part of the mass event "Onliner Spambot" as recently added to the list of breaches at

Have I been pwned? Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach

• 1 year later...
This is a thread from 2008

Imagine. Ten years and counting! :)

As to its being an old thread, new posts bump it to the top of the list. As we’ve all easily found it, presumably anyone in admin who follows the Site Help forum will also note its resurrection and can address it as well, if desired.

One solution would be for there to simply be a CLOSE ACCOUNT switch provided which would generate a banner at someone’s portfolio page reading ACCOUNT CLOSED. Accompanying the switch could be a reminder that all content is the purview of PN and will remain in perpetuity. If the site so wishes, they could also include a reminder that personal gallery photos can be placed in PRIVATE FOLDERS and no longer be seen, but that forum entries are permanently viewable, for as long as the site lasts.

This might alleviate the bounty of questions on the subject that roll into Site Help year after year.

There’s always something new under the sun.

• 2 weeks later...
Delete my account. If you had sensible software this would be an on-line option.

In any case automatic "upgrades" for a fee is called "negative option billing" and is illegal.

No, deleting an account is not a sensible action if it deletes all of your posts, too. Threads would become meaningless as large parts of conversations were deleted.

In the history of photo.net, some accounts have been closed, not by request, but as an admin action when a member was deemed to have broken rules or norms. The notice, "This account has been closed," appeared in the member's directory listing. The member's posts were not removed except, sometimes, the posts that triggered the closure. I have not seen this in the current version of photo.net, even for members who I believe had their accounts closed.