How do I clean tape glue from pressure plate? (see pic)

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by spanky, May 11, 2013.

1. Hi Everyone,
    Today while shooting as I wound a 120 roll into the take up spool after my last exposure somehow the tape holding the backing paper got stuck on the edge of the pressure plate (as indicated in the picture). Any ideas how I can clean this? I was thinking a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. The guy who used to service my Mamiya gear retired. He was the only Mamiya trained tech in the LA area.
    Thanks,
    Marc
    00bdWC-536721584.jpg

2. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Motsenbockers-22-oz-Sticky-Greasy-Oily-Stains-Tape-Remover-Lift-Off-2-407-01/100029845#.UY8qiUpIWBY
    Mostenbockers #2, smaller can available at some stores. Safe for all surfaces and finishes.

3. Try a small amount of WD-40 on a Q tip, it is good for removing glue and Tape residue ,I do not use it for Rust Ect.
    but it works for some glue's

4. Try a small amount of WD-40 on a Q tip, it is good for removing glue and Tape residue ,I do not use it for Rust Ect.
    but it works for some glue's

5. No WD-40! Nor anything else that replaces what you want to remove with a deposit of some other stuff.<br>A little white spirit. Alcohol might do too.

6. Actually if you use another piece of adhesive tape to dab on and lift away the stuck on residue you should find it works well. Or acetone should get rid of it without any residue.

7. Acetone will work, but may also not leave the paint on. And don't let it run to or drip on plastic bits. It will melt those.<br>Be careful using acetone.

8. I use a Q-tip and medical alcohol (70 percent isopropyl alcohol) but you could try industrial methylated spirits.

9. 99% isopropyl alcohol works as well, but can remove some kinds of paint.

10. Naptha (lighter fluid) is inexpensive, works well, and leaves no residue.

11. Thanks for the replies. Acetone is the same as nail polish remover, correct?

12. Yes, essentially -- don't use acetone, it's far too "effective".
    As said, but it bears repeating:
    Never use WD-40 for anything involving cameras or lenses. It is a hell's brew made for rusted things.
    Naphtha (lighter fluid) is good.
    For either alcohols or naphtha, check for additives like oils or perfumes that would leave a residue by allowing a drop to evaporate on a mirror or glass. It's not quite so "essential" for a pressure plate, but...

13. I find naptha (Ronsonol lighter fluid) more effective on most "self-stick" adhesives than alcohol. Acetone is far too aggressive a solvent for sticking in a camera IMHO, it can damage not only paint, but some plastics.

14. OK then Naphtha it is then. I suppose I can pick this up in a hardware store is a small container? Is it like the fluid one uses to light a BBQ or camp stove? Then I just dab a bit on a q-tip and gently buff the gunk away?

15. Personally I'd give the sticky tape suggestion I made a go first before putting anything wet and runny on it. That's why I put that first in my response. Persistent dabbing and lifting with the tape should remove all the bits and leave no residue or have any risk of fluids running where they don't belong or acting as a solvent if contacting other parts.

16. Further to the issue of acetone and wishing to provide some empirical evidence on its use I have just used acetone on a q-tip to repeatedly wipe the pressure plate on my Nikon F with absolutely no adverse effect whatsoever.
    This doesn't mean of course that your pressure plate will be 100% safe but acetone, for me, remains one of the fluids I might try if a similar thing happened to one of my cameras. And yes it is used in nail polish remover but that may have oils, colorants and perfumes added too making it unsuitable.

17. Thanks again for the replies; I went ahead gave lighter fluid a try. Worked like a charm!