How do I change the ISO on my Nikon N55/F55?

henry wilkins

Your camera has exposure compensation of -2 EV to + 2 EV. This is covered on page 64 of the F55 manual. Unfortunately the compensation is only in steps of 1/2 stop. I don�t own the F55 or N55. I downloaded a manual from Nikon UK. You can use exposure compensation to achieve similar results to changing the film speed. The only real difference is ISO speeds are in 1/3 stops.

If you want to change your film speed in the conventional way you�d need to buy an N80 or better or a "classic" Nikon. If it�s worth the trouble I understand there are DX code stickers.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Or set your exposure manually (the camera may revert to C/W metering for this - the F65 does). Tedious, yes, but you will think about what you are doing and why, and it will help your photography. On the other hand, I did once have a roll of Scala (ISO 200 b/w slide film) pushed to 800 by shooting in A mode (matrix) with -2EV compensation, and things came out well.

Don't rush into buying another body just because of this. I've always had contempt for the F80 simply because it in the UK it was almost twice the price of my old F65, and it still won't meter with manual-focus lenses, focusing screens can't be changed, the viewfinder wasn't a great improvement and so on.

But those things were important to me. They may not be to you. And there is virtue in overcoming apparent limitations without buying new equipment. Not that that stopped me from selling the F65 and getting two better cameras.

Why does Nikon leave such basic features off of their entry level SLRs?

I sold cameras for three years and, I wish I had a buck for everytime a customer brought back an entry level Nikon SLR and chewed me out because it lacked this feature. It's such a basic feature that came on every 35mm SLR for decades that people just assume that it's there.

You don't have to have more buttons. It can just be one entry on a menu accessed by pressing a single button. Even the bottom of the barrel c**** SLR's do that. That's easily manageable. Looks like a cost cutting measure, just like c**** doesn't have a spot meter on most low - mid range bodies.