How do I automatically rotate images in Windows explore?

<p>Team,</p>

<p>I am a PC use and often look at my images using Windows explore and selecting the thumbnails view. I find it very annoying how all the images taken in portrait mode are defaulted to display in landscape mode, which forces me to rotate them counterclockwise. Is there a way to ensure that they are automatically displayed the right way up?</p>

<p>When I review them in camera they are so how can i ensure they are on my PC? Thanks,</p>

<p>Fred</p>

<p>Not knowing what camera you are using, I am able to set in my Canon DSLRs to automatically rotate the images when I open in the computer - check your settings. I can also set it to rotate or not on the camera screen as well. I do this on the camera and computer so that when I view a portrait format image on the camera screen it fills the while screen - easier to see as the image will be larger.</p>

<p>Nikon pictures have a rotate flag. If you use Nikon's software to transfer pictures from the camera to computer, that software (if feature not disabled), will rotate picture during transter and save on your computer in proper orientation.</p>

<p>If you use a Windows Explorer to copy files out of camera, or most other software, the picture will be saved on computer in the original orientation, including the rotate flag setting, but it will not be rotated. Then the rotate flag could be used for rotation during display on the monitor. </p>

<p>I do not know if there is a way to make use of this flag in Windows Explorer and automate rotation after the pictures are stored in wrong orientation. Currently the Windows Explorer's Folder View Options do not provide for picture rotation. The best would be to use Nikon software and do it right at the time of picture entry to the computer.</p>

<p>I never use the orientation feature in the camera for the very reason that some viewing programs can read the EXIF data and some cannot.</p>

<p>In Windows Explorer just select all the images that need turning (hold the Ctrl key down whilst selecting) and then right click on one of the thumbnails. A drop down menu will will show options including rotation. Click on the one you want and not only will the thumbnail be turned then so will the final image when you open it. This will not work well if you have already used the camera rotation feature.</p>

<p>I use this method when there are a lot of shots that need turning but am a little wary of doing it on all shots as I am not sure how 'lossy' this route is. Mostly I rotate my shots in Photoshop or equivalent program where I know there it will be done without too much image quality loss.</p>

<p>This issue is a serious bug in the Microsoft image viewers, Windows Photo Gallery also suffers from this limitation, they just ignore the information in the EXIF header on the image orientation so all images are displayed in landscape mode. There are no signs that Microsoft has any plans to correct this issue.</p>

<p>I wouldn't recommend changing the image rotation with Windows Explorer, not only will this degrade the image quality, it also removes the EXIF orientation tag that other programs, like Photoshop, rely on to display the image correctly.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>For Windows 7 and Windows Vista users a solution exists in the form of the <a href="http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/">FastPictureViewer Codec Pack</a> which, among other things, enables JPEG auto-rotation from EXIF orientation in Windows Explorer, Photo Gallery, Photo Viewer 7 and Media Center 7, and exactly answers the question raised in this thread.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Indeed rotating images using 'Windows Photo Viewer' deletes the EXIF information... which is really bad. I just can't believe Microsoft didn't fix it even in Windows 7!<br>

Well, recently I download this application called 'Digital Image Auto Rotate' which automatically rotates images from whole folder which is pretty neat by just right clicking the the folder and selecting the Auto Rotating option from the context menu that appears ..the url for this application is http://www.digitalimageautorotate.com<br>

Hope this helps.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>Using <a href="http://www.pilpi.net/software/JPEG-EXIF_autorotate.php" rel="nofollow" data-rte-meta="%7B%22type%22%3A%22external%22%2C%22text%22%3A%22JPEG-EXIF%20autorotate%22%2C%22link%22%3A%22http%3A%5C%2F%5C%2Fwww.pilpi.net%5C%2Fsoftware%5C%2FJPEG-EXIF_autorotate.php%22%2C%22linktype%22%3A%22text%22%2C%22wasblank%22%3Afalse%2C%22wikitext%22%3A%22%5Bhttp%3A%5C%2F%5C%2Fwww.pilpi.net%5C%2Fsoftware%5C%2FJPEG-EXIF_autorotate.php%20JPEG-EXIF%20autorotate%5D%22%7D" data-rte-instance="71-63862140850c503c44820f" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.pilpi.net/software/JPEG-EXIF_autorotate.php">JPEG-EXIF autorotate</a> in Windows Explorer, you can automatically rotate by right clicking the folder containing the photos. The rotation is 100% lossless, no loss of image quality. <br /><br />Disclaimer: I made the installer and the user interface for this, though the underlying technology is a widely used and free application, jhead, and a bunch of others.</p>

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
<p>Windows 8 and Windows 10 now supports the EXIF Orientation flag. The File Explorer in Windows 10 now auto-rotates the images on the fly in the thumbnail view. The problem is, most users who are used to the way the pictures were displayed in Windows 7 (or any other older versions of Windows) will be caught by surprise when they upload their rotated pictures to websites like eBay or Amazon. The pictures might look "correct" in Windows 10, but when uploaded they are still in their original orientation. This is because most websites don't support EXIF. You cannot fix this problem using the "Rotate Left" or "Rotate Right" options that comes with File Explorer.