How did I get dust on my sensor?

williamting

<p>I used a blower to get off a big piece of dust, but I was curious how it got on my sensor to begin with.</p>

<p>I was shooting an event and all of a sudden a dust spot appears and affects the rest of the pictures for the night. The last photo to not have the dust issue was taken only 4 seconds before I spot the dust for the first time.</p>

<p>Something was loose and somehow just got lodged inside the body and all of a suddent got stuck on the sensor? It seems so random . . .</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I used a blower to get off a big piece of dust</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I won't even use a blower anymore. As the rubber squeeze bulb ages, it has a tendency to flake off particles. You will find yourself blowing <strong>more</strong> dirt & dust onto the sensor.</p>

<p>Pete</p>

<p>Don't used canned air to clean your sensor! Even when the cans are held upright they can and do sometimes spray propellent instead of air. If you think dust is hard to get off a sensor you don't even want to know how bad propellent is to clean off. I used canned air for years to power hobby spray guns when building small plastic models. Some of the propellents would stain and craze plastics, I wouldn't want that on my sensor. If your blower is getting old and blowing pieces of rubber buy a new one, Rocket blowers seem to work well.</p>