How come Contax never made a digital back for the G2?

ward

<p>I'm just sayin'. I was playing with my G2 yesterday and recollected that they made a data back, so back swapping was an option. Wouldn't a digital back have been sweet? Wish the company had survived. We'll never see glass like that again.</p>

<p>--w</p>

<p>did companies like contax make serious money since the 70's, when they ceased to be major players? i have a feeling that many of these smaller manufacturers (including leica) are run along business likes, however, at the helm there are photo enthusiasts. they enjoy running the business and thus it is carried on.<br>

research and development costs money. marketing costs would also be a major factor. a small player like contax could not have pulled off these additional costs unless there would be a guaranteed success.</p>

<p>Ward, I have often wondered why there weren't digital backs for other camera bodies as well. I believe there was on company in Germany that tried but disappeared. Imagine a digital back for some of the medium format cameras. Instead of being on the brink of going out of business, a reasonably priced digital back might stoke enough demand to keep them producing medium format bodies and lenses well into the future.</p>