How big???

colleendonovan

I've gone 30" on both the 20D and 300D.

Since 30" prints are a little more expensive from the lab, try enlarging to 30", then crop out a portion for an 8x10 print.

Dare I also offer: test this with a few different enlargement and sharpenting processes. Five 8x10s is gonna run ya what, ten bucks? Hang them on your wall above your sofa, like it was a real 30" print, and admire!

Also, I would run a home test first. You can do this if you have an inkjet printer. Calculate about how many 8x10's will fit in a 20x30" (a bit less than 8-8x10's) and crop to that size, make an 8x10" of the cropped portion, and get back and look at it. This is not perfect but will give you an idea.

I also think good digital labs are capable of making such prints from your 20D images with the equipment they use.

Give us a report, Ok?

it's really all about viewing distance. The correct viewing distance for a photograph should be twice the diagonal of the print, atleast that's what the manuals say. Most posters are printed at what? 130 lpi if it's high quality, and no one takes a second look. But show another photographer a 20x30 in print and he'll go over it with a magnifying glass.

Here is a trick that I have learned to enlarge my photos past 30".

I keep my dpi at 250-300 whatever your lab reccomends for printing. Than the only thing I change, and this is important, I increase the % size 110%. This trick is to add gradually. And you will see that your enlargements soon become large enough past 30", for me personally I don't do anything past 30" but I can understand if someone asks.

Try it you will be impressed, to make my life easier I have made an action to increase my image size by 110% each time. Please remember to change the % only not the size itself.

Good luck

Greg

That's called "Step Interpolation" Greg. Fred Miranda offers an inexpensive PS plug-in that

does it in steps, but includes a more complex formula which includes other tweaks as it takes

each step up. You set the size, hit okay, and it does it all in seconds. www.fredmiranda.com