How bad would made from a seperated Ultron Lens?

<p>Hi,<br />I just got one of my dream camera, Voigtlander Vitessa. It comes with Ulron 50/2 but the rear element is seriously separated. Rainbow like colour show in the glass. I was told not to use any separated lens because of poor image. Is that really true for that?Should I let my Vitessa get off from my collection?<br>

Kevin</p>

<p>As stated above, you won't know how badly affected the lenms is until you try it.<br>

I have separation on one of my Ultrons for my Prominent; fairly minor on the edges, less than 10% of surface area - no discenable loss of image quality. Same goes for a Septon I had on my Bessamatic; it looked ugly with the naked eye, but barely caused any problems making photographs.<br>

I do notice some flare issues when shooting into the light with a Separated Planar on one of my Rolleiflexes, but it's only noticeable in extreme lighting situations.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Second what Gabor has said. I have a Septon with about 1/3 separation, and a Tele Rolleiflex which has almost total separation, both still shoot really well, albeit with a bit more flare if you are not careful.<br>

Separation in German (and some Japanese) lenses from this era is quite common, and is more of a cosmetic concern than anything else. Go out and shoot some pictures with your Vitessa (a truly great camera) and see how it goes.</p>