How about a photo contest?

Discussion in 'Photo.net Site Help' started by wade_rose, Jan 21, 2006.

1. How about a photo contest. for members only and maybe that will help
    drag in the extra people that use the site but not have joined. we
    would email the picture to photo.net they would post all pictures
    there without the photographers names?

2. I thought that's what the TRPs are...

3. BOB no and give a way a gift maybe you can get the sites sponsers to give a free tripod or something?

4. I think we should have a photo contest.

In fact that is somethign we haven't done for years.

What sorts of prizes interset folks:

software,
    hardware,
    calibration equipment,
    prints?

5. This is a very good idea. I would see gladly a photo contest taking place regularly, for instance once per month under some thematic subject. One of the most interesting points could precisely the anonymity of the thing, unlike the TRP.

6. If they're going to get a prize, I'd think being displayed on the photo.net home page would be a pretty good one. Otherwise, money is always a sure bet. Photo gear is "iffy". Most people already have a load of stuff and any hardware prize would need to be brand specific. I don't need any Nikon lenses for example!

My only caution is that no good deed goes unpunished and whoever wins will be torn to shreds by critics, along with whoever was responsible for judging! If it's an open vote, people will try to find a way to cheat. Such is life.

You might also consider carefully if nudes would be eligible to win.

7. Subscription for x number of years would be a good prize; we're presently running one of those in the Picture This community.

8. A gift cert to a photo shop..? say 500.00 :D

9. A big money prize would certainly draw in the best.

And I was thinking bragging rights. What a piker!

10. mbb

mbb

How about a few $$ entry fee per photo and panel of 3 outside judges. Profit can cover fees for judging and prices. Whatever left (even if a large part) benefits site? This (fee) will also guarantee less non-serious entries.

11. And I think nudes should be out. My wife wont pose.:D

12. James G. Dainis

James G. Dainis Moderator

The only submission rules should be, No children, no pets, no tree bark.

13. No cats, no insects, no birds.

14. No children, no pets, no tree bark, no cats, no insects, no birds.
    Thats going to leave out most of the shooters here. Well, except the nude photographers.
    hehe

15. Let's see, no nudes, no children, no pets, no tree bark, no cats, no insects, no birds.
    What does that leave use with, redundant sunsets/rises, architecture, abstracts, digital alterations, street photography. portraits & the ever popular Teton's/landscape images. Oh I forgot, candid family photos without children :)

I thought the POW was kind of a photo contest. This works for me.

16. James G. Dainis

James G. Dainis Moderator

Okay, no tree bark but dried mud is okay. (That's half my portflio.)

17. no pixels or silver halides

18. if I'm nude and I take photos of cats, birds, insects, sunrises, treebark, street scenes, children, people, etc. am I a nude photographer?

19. ...I'm with Bob, look at the Top Rated Photos - there is far too much competitiveness here as it is, lets not encourage the hawks into a feeding frenzy!

20. David no your a pervert then....:D

21. How about only in Street / Documentary styles?

After all the other sections have their own regular audiences and Street/Documentary styles are the two most important branches of the photography and two mostly ignored sections on this site.

The right moment in those genres don't come often and can't be recreated in studio or in a session etc. The moments don't just hang around and being in the right location is rather important. Dealing with side challenges are part of it as well getting the most of the split seconds at times....and many more reasons.

Just an opinion of course.

We can compete with Magnum Photos for example! =D

22. The right moment in those genres don't come often and can't be recreated in studio or in a session etc. The moments don't just hang around and being in the right location is rather important. I guess you've never heard of Robert Doisneau and the Kiss image (among others).

23. Of course that I have, but the general piont that I have made still is correct...should I use the cliche for it..."IMO"?! :) Cheers M.H.
    00Ezoh-27738584.jpg

24. Rajeev Surati, So what's it gona be?

25. Very good how about a new car with a Photo.net bumber sticker! just kidding but it is good and I think it would help get people to come on board.

26. Kenneth Fugate _ I notice you do alot of ratings. seems like you almost rated everyone of my pictures, and i dig the hell out of your lighting pictures there badazz! :D

27. WADE thanks I am addicted to PN and photography

28. Why don't you enter the photo contest at www.betterphoto.com. they have a contest each month in 10 subjects...

29. 1) The picture can be of any subject at all, as long as Al Kaplan appears somewhere within it. Preferably NOT nude. If nude, then there must be enough trees, insects or furry animals present to cover things up a bit.

2) The prize is the Nokia phone we keep getting hammered with in the ads.