Hourly rate as a second shooter for the wedding?

sophiafield

Hello,<p>

I've been asked to work as a second photographer by an established wedding photography/

video team, however, I don't really have much of wedding photography experience.<br>

But my question is...what should my hourly rate be for this kind of a job? They're offering to

pay me by the hour, but what's confusing to me is that should I be charging them a bit extra

per hour because I'll be giving them the rights to the photographs? <br>

Anyone have any guess on what the average rate would be for something like this?<p>

Thank you!<p>

Sophia<br>

<a href="http://www.sophiafield.com">www.sophiafield.com</a>

I assume you are US. In the UK it's around $30 hrly for an inexperienced assistant.

The bit about 'giving them the rights to the photographs' is not true. You work for them 'they' own the rights right from the beginning, they are not 'yours' at anytime I'm afraid, although you might ask for a licence to use for your own portfolio. They'll probably allow this but probably not for you to publish or advertise.

I have a great assistant who helps me and I let her use her images as she wishes, but I retain the copyright at all times.

Kevin

I'd guess between $30-50, depending on what you can negotiate, with possibility for increasing the rate as time goes on and you do good work. What did they offer? Kevin is right about the copyright. They own it from the beginning if you engage in an independent contractor type work situation. I would also specify a minimum number of hours, so you don't have to get all prepped for a one hour shoot for which you are paid $30 (or whatever).

Sophia, This is almost the same question that brides will ask, as in how much should my photography cost for the day? There is a wide variation from studio to studio. If it's an established studio, they've already got the dollar amounts set....at this point are you looking for information to negotiate with? Talk to the studio owner, as you gain more experience and meet other shooters in your area you'll be able to have a better perspective on what your local market can bear. There is also a big difference between the title of 2nd shooter and an assistant who is also carrying a camera. Would also suggest that you do a search on prices & assistant pay and read those threads...this question gets asked with some freequency.Good luck.

I work with a group of other photographers who all do weddings. We all book our

own jobs, and go with each other as second shooter/assistants. We generally pay

$200-$350 per job, depending on the time involved and the duties we need from

each other. I've never seen this as an hourly thing, but rather work it on a day rate,

and throw in some more money if it goes way over on time. But doing the

calculations, I figure it breaks down to between $40 and $50 per hour. Definately

give/get a 1099 for taxes, if it's more than $700 per year from same employer.