hot lights

heather_bowes1

anyone have or recommend a light set-up with "hot lights". I have a few cameras I like to use and not all

compatable with synch to flash. I also am just starting on lights so would like to see what I have as I shoot

and move/adjust as necessary. I see that there are now hot lights wchich don't actually get hot.

Also, I work mostly on location so need something transportable.

Thanks!

Continuous lights for portraits are best through a diffuser or bounced in to an umbrella.

The cool hot lights are great, but have the same restrictions.

You will be restricted to a tripod.

I use Lowell DP bounced into Lowells heat resistent umbrella or thru Calumet`s free standing diffuser. Also the same diffuser

with the optional white fabric as a fill reflector. This is the best portrait light set up I ever had and i have tried everything.

You can use the cool continuous lights the same way.

To get off a tripod, you need electronic flash.

thank you for your responses. I looked at the Lowell site, very nformative. Will check out

what you mentioned Spencer.

The more research the more confused I get! I shoot children and families on location and

love using just natural and ambient light, but I am finding at times I have a spot I would

love to shoot in and I need some extra light. Also have a small space to shoot in with a

large window but often have to struggle with very overcast days and fast moving children.

I would like to start playing with lights and using them to supplement when needed. And

begin experimenting with more lighting and set ups.

What I would like is something I can grow with, add to when and if I want.

Another question is mixing daylight and continuos light. I work with both film and digital.

95% bw but not afraid to do more color if I like.

Thank you again. I am researching and appreciate any advice or suggestions you have.

The main problem with hot lights is that if they provide any sort of power they get very hot, and if they do not get hot, the power is very little. That means fast film/high ISO on digital, and fast lenses wide open, or so long shutter speeds that people shots start to get blurry even on tripod as the subject moves. Fast moving children would be especially challenging. Some extra light can surely be provided by daylight balanced hotlights in a location that has some but quite not enough light.

I would definitely <i>not</i> consider using hot lights with small children. Hot lights are hot and fragile. They also have issues with color temperature (not an issue with digital) including changing color temperature with wear. There is an excellent thread on hot lights versus flash that you can read <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005D3k">here.</a> Pay attention to what Brooks Short says, he is a master at lighting and knows far more than most people on photo.net.