Horseman 985

kevin_dean

Having just become the owner of an 985, I have a couple of questions

to fire at you all untill my owner manual turns up...

1. on the shutter is X-V-M what do they signify?

2. along the rails are some fold down colored stops, what is their

purpose?

1. X=sync for electronic flash. V=selftimer. M=sync for certain flashbulbs.

2. These are infinity stops for various lenses. The color of the stop is also the color of the focal length engraving on the exchangeable rangefinder cam which is held into the rail bed by a thumbscrew. When you change lenses, you also must change the rangefinder cam, and use the corresponding color infinity stop.

If your 985 came with a ground-glass back it would be a good idea to check those infinity stops for accuracy, using a target like the moon. The target should be sharp when the rail hits the stop. If not they can be loosened and adjusted.

I had a VH-R, the next newer model, which has a revolving back. Great cameras. You are not limited to the Topcor or Horseman (also made by Toyo Kogaku, or Topcon, of 60's 35mm SLR fame)lenses. Any lens in a #0 shutter will work fine. That opens you up to using 4x5 lenses which have a much larger image circle, and recommended if you will be using the movements a lot at their extremes.

I currently use a VH and a VHR... wonderful cameras. I think the only major difference with

the 985 is that it doesn't have a rotating back. By all means get the Horseman 70 degree

angled view finder. It makes a tremandous diference in seeing the image on ground

glass... so much so that I never use the built in finder anymore. There are lensboards

avalable for copal one shutters as well. I use a 58XL Super Angulon, 75 Horseman ER, 100

symmar, 150 SironarN, and 270T Nikon. The 270T is mounted on an extended board, the

58 on a recessed board which is no longer available. Best of luck with your new 985.