Horseman 45FA vs Wista 45SP/VX vs ?

noah

<p>I'm in the market for a 4x5 field camera and I need some advice and opinions. I've read various posts on these cameras but I'd love to hear from shooters with experience with both or at least people who have used one of these cameras extensively.<br /><br />I've been shooting lately with a Mamiya 7II kit and it suits me well, but occasionally I think 4x5 would give me several advantages: movements for perspective control, a slower pace which I like for environmental portraits and better quality for large exhibition prints. With the 6x7 I often print to 30x40in. and sometimes to 40x50in. With the 4x5 I'd be starting at 40x50in. and perhaps printing larger from time to time.<br /><br />Since my main lenses with the Mamiya are the 80mm and 50mm, I plan to start with a 90mm and a 150mm. I'd go with modern glass. I may add a 210 but the chances of me ever needing a lens longer than 240mm are extremely small.<br /><br />I'll be shooting environmental portraits, urban landscapes and maybe some light interior/architecture work. But nothing that requires extensive movements.<br /><br />With all of that out of the way, I'm looking for a metal field camera available second-hand in the $1200 or less range. I've narrowed it to the Horseman 45FA and Wista 45VX/SP. I don't think I need the rear micro swing of the SP so I'd be leaning towards the cheaper VX if I can find one.<br /><br />I'd be curious to hear the pros and cons of the two cameras or any other camera I should be looking at. I'm currently leaning towards the wista.</p>

<p>I primarily use two movements, front rise and front tilt, and both are geared on the SP/VX but if I'm correct the Horseman has only geared front rise but not geared front tilt. Also, the wista has more front rise if I'm not mistaken.</p>

<p>Apparently the wista will fold with some lenses mounted (some need to be mounted backwards). </p>

<p>The horseman seems more compact to me, which is a plus since I may travel internationally with the camera. Although I've heard that the wista can fold with some lenses attached (perhaps backwards?) so that would make for some real space savings.</p>

<p>The things that are most important to me in a camera are rigidity and controls that lock down, durability and an overall feeling of quality and precision. I don't really have any local shops where I can try the cameras out so this is mostly why I'm asking for opinions.</p>

<p>I'm also open to other suggestions in my price range. I guess my dream camera would be a Master Technika 2000, but it's out of the question at this time. I'm also not interested in wood cameras. Thanks!</p>

<p>I use a Wista 45, and I find it to be a great camera. The front rise is geared, and all movements can be locked. I have been able to fold up my Wista with a 90/5.6 lens mounted, after reversing as you mentioned. The Horseman is a newer design, and seems to be slightly lighter in weight, but otherwise there isn't much of a difference. Here in Japan the Wista costs significantly less than the Horseman, but I'm not sure if that's the case where you are located.</p>

<p>Thanks jeff. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I prefer the revolving back of the Wista to the removable back of the Horseman.</p>

<p>However, I learned during my time shooting 8x10 that rigidity and precise movements that lock down tight are the most important thing to me, followed by convenience and speed of setup. </p>

<p>Have you had a chance to compare the rigidity of the two cameras? </p>

<p>The wista is cheaper here in the US too, though slightly harder to find on the used market. </p>

<p>Noah<br>

I've been using the Wista SP for around two years now. I travel a lot with it and shoot portraits with it, both environmental and tighter heads both on location and in the studio.<br>

I've found it to be rigid enough and have never had issues with this. The Wista has a bed that extends in 3 sections depending on the focal length & distance to subject. For a tight head/shoulders shot using a 210mm lens you need only to extend one extra section, meaning that everythings still pretty compact & rigid.<br>

The camera folds down into a very tough little block that is easy to transport and can survive the rigours of travelling. Both my main lenses stay on the front standard when its folded, reversed (Fuji 105mm & Nikkor 150mm, both Copal 0 shutters).<br>

There's quite a lot of front rise available, because when zeroed the lens is at the bottom rather than the middle of its rise/fall capacity, if that makes sense?<br>

The front tilt is not really geared; it just pivots back and forth via an adjuster wheel. This is easy and very fluid to use in practice. I never use the rear micro tilts. In practice the reversing back is a bit of extra weight I could live without; LF is so slow & deliberate that the few seconds gained over a non reversable back makes no difference to me.</p>

<p>Any other specific Q's, drop me a line.</p>

<p>HTH<br>

<br />Mark</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Starting out LF photography with a Crown graphic, I soon felt the need for something more capable of doing what large format cameras are meant for, providing ultimate control of focus and composition. I bought a used Canham DLC45 at a steal of a price and I love it, to say the least. My local camera shop had a used, but mint condition Wista 45-VX (which is the same as an SP but without the micro swing on the back) for an absurdly low price. I definitely did not need another 4x5 camera, but the price was so good for this camera, I had to buy it. I am so glad I did, the Wista 45 VX/SP cameras are wonderful field cameras. They have plenty of movements, they exude quality workmanship, and they are built like a tank. If you have the opportunity to buy one at a very good price, I highly recommend it, you would definitely not regret it. Think of all the mysticism and legend of the Linhof Technica cameras, but make it much more affordable, and you have the Wista. </p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Thanks for all the advice. After much searching I found a Wista 45VX that appears to be in good condition and it should arrive early next week.</p>

<p>The SP models seem to be much easier to find, but I know I wouldn't use the micro-swing so I really wanted the simpler VX.</p>

<p>In the meantime I have acquired an HR8000 drum scanner, so I can't wait to start shooting some 4x5! </p>

<p> </p>