"Hopeless" image an infringement?

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by craig_gillette, Feb 26, 2011.

1. There's a posterized (a la Fairey's disputed treatment of another photographer's image of Obama) image of Muammar Gaddafi showing up in the news images from Libya. I wonder if someone will claim ownership of the underlying art on that?
    This link is from a news site but don't know if it will last.
    http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20110225/i/ra3465992792.jpg?x=400&y=279&q=85&sig=.mWVatXRRH2BksnP5al8DA--

2. Craig -
    Can't say I'm familiar with the copyright laws in Libya but my guess is that anyone holding that poster may be a bullseye for one of the supporters with an AK-47.
    Dave

3. Even if the Libyans were sticklers for protection of intellectual property, and the person who first made this Obama picture really wants to pursue it in court, should he? His art is famous all over the world, and has been shown in support of the first black president of the US of A and now in support of freedom in a country's fight to topple a notorious dictator. Not too shabby, all in all, I would say.

4. Good luck enforcing intellectual property rights against demonstrators using iconic imagery. Or any non-commercial use in pop culture. There are bigger fish to fry.
    But as little sense as Daffy's recent tirades have made, he might as well accuse the demonstrators of pirating copyrighted materials along with his other rants.

5. I was thinking more of Fairey. He's not ashamed to steal other's work but is aggressive in protecting the material he claims to have developed. But I'd agree, they play on a completely different playing field in Libya, etc.