Hope for R users after all...

graeme_hodges

<p>I recently wrote to Leica Germany asking if there would be a "digital solution for Leica R users" (from Leica itself) and mentioned that I was looking at the recently released Panasonic GH1 as a possible alternative "crossover solution".<br>

Their reply came back this morning and I quote:</p>

<p >"Dear Mr Hodges, </p>

<p >thank you very much for your request.<br /><br /></p>

<p >We know very well about this serious situation concerning the following system of the R-system. Unfortunately it was not possible for the Leica Camera AG to develop a digital camera body for the R-system simultaneous to the new S-System.</p>

<p >But our important aim is to continue the R-system into the digital technology and we are engaged to offer our R-customers an optimal solution which allows using the analogue lenses in combination with a fully digital body. For the necessary technical innovations the S-System will be an ambitious platform to integrate proved features into the new R-follower.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >We still cannot release any exact data about the introduction date of the new system, but be asssured, it won’t be introduced in the next 6 month.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thank you for your understanding."</p>

<p >This also aligns with information I received from the distributor in Australia recently, who implied that something was happening, but not to expect an announcement before Photokina 2010.</p>

<p >Life is good again, start saving your pennies :)</p>

<p >Graeme.</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Jim, we haven't heard of any pricing yet. One of the reasons Leica mentioned they would not be making an R10 is the expected selling price would have been too high, something like the M9's price. And, as much as I like the SL, the R8 with DMR gets the vast majority of my work because the image quality I get from the R lenses and DMR is anything but 'cobbled'. 'Cobbled' is what happens when you put an R lens on a camera that doesn't support the lens' auto-aperture and full-aperture metering capabilities.</p>

<p>I find this post very encouraging and think I am inclined to wait for an R-series solution from Leica that is not seriously compromised.<br>

I waited for the M9 and now that I have one, I'm pleased that I didn't opt for one of the M8 variants.<br>

I think I agree conceptually with Doug Herr - composing and focusing with a lens stopped down to less than 25% of available light is a very tricky thing to accomplish with older eyes - especially the pair I've the good fortune to have preserved!</p>

<p>There's always hope. I hope to shoot some Velvia, Tri-X, and Delta 100 in my R6 soon! Maybe they should start a "Hope" brand of film from China or Croatia? If there's a "Lucky" film, what's wrong with "Hope." Then there will be Hope for our R systems.</p>

<p>"But our important aim is to continue the R-system into the digital technology and we are engaged to offer our R-customers an optimal solution which allows using the analogue lenses in combination with a fully digital body."</p>

<p>Thanks for posting that very clear message.</p>

<p>I have been using R lenses on Canon bodies, but a combination of the Zeiss ZE range and some improved Canon lenses has largely negated that benefit. I find the Canon 14mm II, Zeiss 21mm Distagon, Canon 24mm TSE II, Canon 35mm 1.4L, Zeiss 50mm Macro 2.0 (arrived yesterday-it's superb), and Canon 100mm Macro II with Image Stabilisation, all deliver comparable quality to my R lenses, but without the hassle of stop down metering. I was about to sell my R lenses, but after reading your post I think I'll hang on to them and see what happens! Thanks again for sharing.</p>

<p>Gary,<br>

Leica knows it has a loyal following with its R system, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is working on a reasonably priced R10 (compared to the M9, for example). Should it succeed, then maybe Zeiss might decide to support its loyal Contax fans (myself included), who would like to see the new lenses it is selling in Nikon F, Canon EOS and Pentax K mounts available too in Contax/Yashica mount (It may not be possible to revive the Contax SLR system due to preexisting licensing agreements with Kyocera (Yashica).). Anyway, there may be some room for optimism with regards to the R system, especially since the Leica M9 appears to be selling well.<br>

Sincerely,<br>

John<br>

P. S. Have never photographed with Leica R cameras or lenses; my sole experience with Leica has been - and still is - with the M rangefinders.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'll believe when I see it. When Leica cancelled the R line w/o a digital solution (other then the DMR which wasn't practical for many), they lost a large handful or R users who finally jumped shipped to Canon or Nikon. I just don't think there's the existing market now that would justify the expenditure of resources. You're likely to see an S2 junior before and R solution.</p>

<p>I'll believe when I see it. When Leica cancelled the R line w/o a digital solution (other then the DMR which wasn't practical for many), they lost a large handful or R users who finally jumped shipped to Canon or Nikon. I just don't think there's the existing market now that would justify the expenditure of resources. You're likely to see an S2 junior before and R solution.</p>

<p>Doesn't matter to me anymore what they come up with in regard to the R system - all cameras and lenses have been sold - and it was like offering sour grapes as far as the bodies were concerned. The only lens I kept was the Apo-Telyt 180/3.4 converted to Nikon F-mount.<br>

If I remember correctly, it was stated that the "solution for the R users" would not consist of a DSLR - but Leica might have changed their minds about that one.</p>

<p>This is good, but very frustrating, news. After using Leica R for 25 years, Leica's announcement of the discontinuation of the R System meant that I put it up for sale and bought a Canon 5DII. The Canon is very good, but 'different' and somehow not as satisfying as my R4-R6 cameras had been. I've still got a few lenses that haven't been sold and have wondered about using them on the Canon. However, this news muddies the waters even more - ought I to reclaim my unsold lenses (21f4; 28f2.8; 180f3.4Apo; Extender 2x) and hope for a Leica digital body for them? I don't know. <br>

I don't know why they couldn't have simply made a mechanical camera with a digital sensor like a mechanical DMR. I'd have been happy to still focus and expose manually, and have the battery power only the essentials so that I could take it trekking and not have to worry about carrying multiple batteries and or chargers - but that's me and I could be called a techno-Luddite.</p>

<p>Jim Powers asks: "Does Minolta still make cameras?"<br /> Maybe they do and and we're not meant to know. ;-) After all the R3 was a Minolta clone, and the very survival of the Leica reflex system was due largely to the Minolta optics selected to expand on the Leicaflex lens range. We wouldn't even be discussing "Leica R" it wasn't for Minolta.<br /> ... but now, realistically, probably not.</p>

<p>Ahhhh..... Doug, cobbled, but the pictures are outstanding...don't need to meter at full aperture, I leave my 50mm Summicron R on F5.6, focus until the indicator light in my D700 viewfinder says I'm good and wow, the results are super fine - in color or black and white and at ISO 3200.</p>

<p><!--StartFragment -->I'm excited about this announcement because I've been waiting for some of the wide angle R lenses to be updated and designed like the newer M wide angle lenses. Haven't had much hope of this for some time and when heard of the news that the R series was being discontinued, I lost all hope. In fact, I was actually thinking about getting a Leica rangefinder camera with one of the wide angle lenses so I could take advantage of the newer designed lenses. However with this announcement, I now have hope that Leica might update at least one or two of their R wide angle lenses. <br>

I love my R9. </p>