Hood or No Hood

ds_meador

<p>I was wondering how many of you use your lens hood when shooting street. I would think that in an effort to minimize the size of the camera and call less attention to oneself, the lens hood would go. However, many people consider them necessary for best contrast and color. Do you use your lens hood for street photography?<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>If the lens I'm using <em>has</em> a hood, then I <em>do</em> use the hood. In addition to improved lens performance -- because the hood reduces or eliminates non-image producing light -- it offers extra protection for the lens as I walk around.</p>

<p>But I don't custom-design hoods for the compact cameras I often use on the street, cameras with integrated lenses that don't come with hoods. I'm not handy enough to do that.</p>

<p>If you use small primes, such as the 24, 28 or 35, even with the hood, it is still very compact. If OTOH you use fast normal zoom such as the 24-70 etc, then yes hood will make a big lens even bigger.</p>

<p>I don't use hoods, both to be less conspicious and because I find them a hassle. I know there's an advantage to them, more so in some cases than others, but still I find them too incovenient. I'd rather take a shot with a bit of flare than miss it while finding and/or reversing a hood, or have self concious subjects due to the delay.</p>

<p>Also, some compact primes have a front element that is already deeply recessed.</p>

<p>FWIW, I'm never or rarely shooting street, but I think it applies in any situation.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I always use lens hoods, no matter what I'm shooting.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ditto. Hoods block stray light which can cause flare, they offer protection from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, keep curious little candy-coated fingers away from the front element and are IMO indispensible.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I use a hood all the time, but more for protection than anything else. The hood on my lens is badly banged up, on all sides and especially the front edge. Yet the lens itself and my camera are in near-mint condition. Not that I particularly care about the cosmetic condition of my camera - but it just shows how much shock is absorbed by that hood in day-to-day run-ins with door frames, tables, chairs, other photographers, etc.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses. As someone just getting into street, and other types, I'm just trying to sort it all out. I guess the newness of street (to me) is what has made me wonder if the hood would make me stand out even more.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>Many of the hoods on present day cameras are ridiculously huge and aggressive, so I know what you mean (check out the monumental hoods on 24-70 and 70-200mm zooms). My Canon 135mm f2 has a hood almost the same length as the lens. I have replaced it with a more reasonably sized B+W one. But, in general, they are a good idea, but I'd recommend using a smaller, generic, hood if you prefer (and if necessary). David Alan Harvey (for example) is a well-known photog who often does not use hoods, so you'd be in good company if you choose not to use them.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Had to think about this one. For candid and casual photos... about half the time, nope, no hood. But not for any particular reason such as discretion. It's because I don't have hoods for some of my favorites: Agfa Isolette folder, Olympus 35 RC (oddball 43.5mm filter thread), Yashica 635 TLR, a couple of P&S digicams. When I used Canonets I had 48mm Hoya hoods but didn't use 'em often because they partially blocked the viewfinder. I do use 'em with my SLRs and dSLR lenses.</p>