Hood for Jupiter-8

harry_akiyoshi

Does anyone know where I can find a useable lens hood for the Jupiter-

8 50mm f/2? As much as I love this lens, it is a bit prone to

flare. I've developed the habit of shading the lens with my hand

when I can, but it's harder to do with a rangefinder than an SLR (you

can't really tell at a glance whether you've eliminated the flare or

not, nor can you tell whether your hand is in the picture, although

this hasn't happened to me yet). Thanks in advance for your replies.

Here are two "make do" options. Either will work. (1) Save the cardboard tube from the inside of a toilet paper roll. Using a safety razor, carefully cut a ring from it (about 3/4 to 1 inch wide...1/2 to 3/4 inch should be enough to stop flare, and it will press down on the lens about 1/4 inch). Coat the outside of it with common white (Elmer's style) glue or varnish to give it rigidity, and paint it with flat black paint. It fits just fine, and this is the cheapest option I think you'll find. Besides, if you lose or damage it, replacements are easy. Otherwise, you can find a plastic one from any of the FSU sellers on E*Bay, but expect to pay dearly to have it shipped to you. (2) Find a black rubber hose the same size inside diameter as the outside diameter of the lens...radiator hose from an older domestic US made car is usually about perfect, or there is a rubber coupling sold in plumbing supply stores or plumbing departments of a hardware store that will work also. Cut the same sized piece (3/4 to 1 inch), and behold your new lens hood. Jon

Before you buy anything designed to screw onto a Japanese 40.5mm lens, it might be a good idea to make sure your Soviet lens thread uses the same pitch. Some of the early Industars (all model 61) and Jupiters used a different thread pitch...I think it was .05mm vs .075mm in the Japanese. If the pitch is wrong, they won't screw in well. Jon.