Honkin' Holga Holes

tripanfal

Arista EDU Ultra (400)

D-76 1:1-11 min

Kodak Stop @ 30 sec

Rinse and fix with Arista "no stink" fixer - 4 minutes.

Rinse, permawash, rinse.

These are some big chunks missing from the emulsion. The scratches are from

the film gate (which is now fixed) The holes are difficult to blame on the

Holga. I've done a bunch of these rolls so far with no problems, and this is

my first ever emulsion flake.

This camera was left in the car in freezing temps, brought in the house, back

out to the car, and so on. Condensation?

Another thing may be warm water during the final rinse. I went to the fridge

for an adult beverage and when I came back, my rinse water was a bit warm,

maybe 90 degrees F.

Any other thoughts? I only use this film for goofing off, nothing serious.<div>00O1Kq-40997984.jpg.4bd5231b1d430362283f78cae6737213.jpg</div>

The cap from the adult beverage fell on the wet film and rolled around. :)<p>

Too warm a temperature can cause the emulsion to seperate from the base if left long enough, say 5 minutes or longer. Another possibility is a manufacture defect, rough handling or winding the film within an hour after brought inside from the frozen car.

I had the same problem with oneof my Holgas and now debur the film gates with 600 to 1200 grit W/D paper and haven't had the problem with the scrathces. Be careful when opening the camera at the ends of rolls too as I had one ruined once as they don't wind very tight and this particualar one was really loose. Those are big discrepencies in your film. Hard to suggest, but could have been the inside outside changing temps too fast and the emulsion might have stuck to the paper???

I know the Holgas are junky cameras, but I tend to use good film in them. I was using Acros and Tmax, but have been getting better results since I switched to FP4. In lower light I like Tmax 400, but will probably try HP5 next time I travel. The thinking there was taking advantage a wider latitude film.

I don't know what the Arista is, but I've heard too many stories, good and bad to to bother withthem when there are still plenty of tried and true films. I just wish we could still get APX 100 and or Neopan SS in 120.

I had the same problem with oneof my Holgas and now debur the film gates with 600 to 1200 grit W/D paper and haven't had the problem with the scrathces. Be careful when opening the camera at the ends of rolls too as I had one ruined once as they don't wind very tight and this particualar one was really loose. Those are big discrepencies in your film. Hard to suggest, but could have been the inside outside changing temps too fast and the emulsion might have stuck to the paper???

I know the Holgas are junky cameras, but I tend to use good film in them. I was using Acros and Tmax, but have been getting better results since I switched to FP4. In lower light I like Tmax 400, but will probably try HP5 next time I travel. The thinking there was taking advantage a wider latitude film.

I don't know what the Arista is, but I've heard too many stories, good and bad to to bother withthem when there are still plenty of tried and true films. I just wish we could still get APX 100 and or Neopan SS in 120. Below is FP4 Ishot from the mast head on the way to Hawaii...

• 2 weeks later...