HongKong: Voigtlaender equipment, where to buy?

A close friend of mine is going to hong kong in august, and since I wanted to expand my

voigtlaender system anyway I figured it would be cheaper to buy in Hong Kong compared

to Europe (Germany)? Can anybody tell me the approx. prices?

I currently own a Bessa R, 15mm, 35mm and 75mm and I will be going for the 50 Nokton,

the 21mm color skopar, and maybe the 90 lanthar.

He won't have plenty of time there to look arround for my stuff, so I ought to give him a

relatively precise description on where to go/buy.

Many thanks in advance,

Best,

Phil

Phil I have seen the bessa and some interesting lenses offered here in germany (not only ebay)at prices that were similar to what i had seen in Taiwan a few month ago. other brands , some single items, were quite cheaper than here in germany but not so the voiglaender stuff. but i wish you luck anyway.

I don't think you can do any better in hong kong than in the US. are you in US? hong kong used to be a great place for purchasing photo equipment but that was before british handed over the island to china. now, US has the cheapest price around.

I was just there and I agree that the prices in Hong Kong compare with B and H in New

York City. The whole market seemed to have been depleted quite a bit from what it used

to be. There are still some tremendous Leica stores in Kowloon, wall to wall Leicas in

counters, boxes from floor to ceiling. But the prices still the same as US.

>>>Communists suck!<<<

Actually the prices went up because of supply and demand.

Many collectors from the mainland are buying them (leica) up in

HK and besides the US dollar is not exactly doing that well.

Think before you make speak nonsense. As for places to

purchase voigtlanders, goto the shops near kimberley road in

Kowloon. Though you won't save much, you will probably save

5-10% plus there's no tax. I looked at the 35mm f1.2 and the

price was comparable to around $820 USD if I remember

correctly. That was in June.

Walter, may I ask where one can find the prices you were refering to? I live near Munich,

and I am having a hard time buying equipment anyways since camera stores are rare and

pricey in my area, especially when it comes to Voigtlaender stuff..

e.g. a new Bessa-R would cost me about 540 euro/$670 buying from a local renowned

"large scale" dealer. (Photo-Sauter)

But even the more average prices seem to differ at large from the US prices, as i.e. the

Bessa-R goes for about $250 (?) at cameraquest.

I somehow managed to buy most of the stuff at tremendous prices off ebay and from ads

in local papers, but I can't justify spending almost double the US price when buying in

Germany.

Originally I planned to buy at Steven Gandy's (cameraquest.com) as the price including

taxes, customs and shipping would still be much lower than buying here.

But since my friend is going to Hong Kong, I figured it would be cheaper. (Customs won't

be a problem I guess since he will be taking his Minolta CLe with him.

Wenton, I found very few websites from honk kong dealers, and NONE with actual prices

on the

Voigtlaender stuff. I emailed one of them but they didn't respond yet.. I have no idea in

what range the prices are, do you have numbers :-) ?

Thank you!

Phil

Phil - a few days ago I saw a number of black Bessa L (the ones where the paint peels off quickly - so what) offered as direct buy at ebay from a german seller (I think photo walser) for 145EU with 3 year original warranty. I was tempted but I look for a mint lens first and then get the body .-) Also i need to sell about a dozen or so things first to make room and money before I get something new. But a 15mm Heliar on a Bessa L seems like an excellent addition to a digital srl if you keep it assembled in the bag. I think Brenner has a good offer on Voigtlander lenses. The single lenses are not so cheap but he used to offer a Bessa L for almost nothing (or even for free?) with the purchase of the 15mm Heliar. What I saw in Taipei was about 100EU less (for the set)than here in Germany but 3 month local warranty. Well a German or international warranty is worth that much for me, and the camera may not pass as present at customs. Prices in Honkong and Bankog are supposed to be higher than in Taiwan at present. If i can talk my lokal dealer near Aachen (Audiophil) into the Brenner Price I will buy it after i sold some of my Nikon lenses (24AFD and 28AFD). Regarding the warranty: Be aware that the Bessa L body is a good deal and for the low price you get a decent body to hold the lens and the film but not the best reliability. I would look at ebay for mint ones in the neighborhood you can pick up and pay cash.

There a a few shops in Kowloon: (1) Tin Cheung in Tung Ying Mansion along Nathan Road, opposite Kowloon Park, (2) Francisco along Lock Road at the back of Hyatt Hotel and (3) one shop inside a small mall along Kimberley Road just next to the Miramar Hotel. All in Tsimshatsui. Ask and inspect carefully.

Again, let me clarify my situation.<br>

1.) I currently OWN a Bessa R with the 15mm, the 35mm f1.7, and the 75mm.<br>

2.) I am not planning to buy another VC body as the R suits my needs very well. I'd rather

save up to a Leica than buy an L body I don't need (just because it's cheap)<br>

3.) I am located in GERMANY, EUROPE, and prices in europe differ so largely from the US

ones that I am tempted to buy either at stevengandy's or make my friend buy in HK.<p>

Some of you already pointed out the warranty issues that may arise from buying in HK, but

the same thing applies to buying from the US or even GB. I am fully aware of the risk and

have no problem taking it, thus saving almost 50% of the price. If something finally

breaks, I will simply buy another one, as simple as that.<p>

Walther, the Brenner prices (on lenses that is) are IMHO way overpriced compared to the

US ones. I know brenner has had some decent deals on other stuff, but those specifically

don't look like too much of a bargain to me.<br>

There's a dealer in Hamburg who should be even cheaper, but as already mentioned, both

can't compete with the US or HK prices.<p>

I have had my bessa R for over a year now, it has yet been to 8 different countries, I carry

and bump it arround almost everywhere and there has NEVER been any problem with it so

far. No rangefinder missalignment, etc.<br>

I don't think a warranty is worth almost 50% of the price paid for the product.<p>

thanks all of you!