Hong Kong Airport Nikon D3x or D3s in 3 and 1/2 hours

tropdude

<p>No Nikon D3x or D3s bodies available in the US, other than the gray market imports.<br>

Any option to purchase either of these bodies at Hong Kong HKG airport while on a 3 h 30 min layover?<br>

Price, tax, etc. is not a factor as long as I get a brand new item warranted by Nikon.<br>

Many thanks!<br>

</p>

<p>Well .. HKG stuff won't have a warranty in the USA unless the USA works different to my country. <br>

If it is not grey, USA may repair for a fee provided the above is correct. <br>

I bought a JP Nikon but had to send it back to JP. </p>

<p>Not sure on shops now but I used to but at Man Shing and Wing Shing in Mongkok , HK.<br>

I am not sure if you can make it for 3hr anyway. Don't you need time to clear immigration et al ... ? 1hr travel time to Mongkok at a guess from the airport ..... or 2hr return. You might want to google them up and call them if they have in stock.</p>

<p>They sell cameras in the airport tho not sure about such high end bodies. Either way, if they don't have it...they'll get one for you if you are willing to pay, I'm sure. However, I would just take the MTR/bus/cab and goto Mong Kok and get it myself. 3.5 hours is enough if you don't browse too much...HK is tiny. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the comments!<br>

Ideally, I am looking for an option within the airport.<br>

If I have to go to Mong Kok, what store(s) should I aim for? It will be around 19-21 h (7-9 pm)?<br>

Any way to arrange with a reputable store to deliver the body to the airport?</p>

<p>Call and ask them. They are a big chain so they should be a okay. But I would check warranty clause as suggested by Ray. I bought a couple sony last year in HK and they transfer the warranty to the US but had to adjust it in the computer. Worst come to worst, you have ship it to HK to wave fees, if indeed something goes wrong.</p>

<p>I vaguely remember that lenses and bodies are different when it comes to warranty status purchased in HK.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Times have changed and we live in a global economy. Price of brand name goods is more or less the same all over he world (varies only depending on VAT/GST). You will certainly not find any great deals or gray market stuff at the HKIA. All shops at the airport are strictly licensed and controlled and we wouldn't want anything tarnishing the HK reputation for fair trade, now would we? On the plus side, most if not all come with the same or similar warranty as goods purchased anywhere else in the world. This is one positive effect of globalisation. Which means that price-wise it will also be very similar. In fact, just browsing the web, it looks like there are better deals to be had in New York or the US generally speaking. Plus, the US consumer protection and warranty rules makes it a much "safer" purchase.</p>

<p>If you want to find any kind of discounted models you would have to go downtown, Mong Kok is probably the best place as people here have mentioned, but I doubt that 3.5 hours will be enough time. Also beware of scam artists all along Nathan road, which is not technically Mong Kok, but just a word of caution. They play on the time-restricted tourist, luring you in to the shop with great sticker prices, then saying "So sorry Sir, no stock, but we will find it for you" start "calling" around wasting your time, then they bring out what you want or more often something similar at sometimes higher than normal retail price and say that this is what is available, take it or leave it. The tourist is watching the clock tick and finally gives in says stuff it and buys whatever they present in front of him/her. Not technically illegal, but a scam nevertheless.</p>

<p>The short of the long is therfore: HK is not the shopping heaven it once used to be. This also holds true for all other Asian big cities, Singapore, Shanghai, Beijing etc. (PRC prices are in fact generally higher for brand name goods). Tokyo is in a league of its own, but to Tokyo's advantage I would mention the 2nd hand market, not for price but quality as items are absolutely mint generally speaking, sometimes in the original packaging and wrapping exactly like it came out of the factory (anyone who knows the Japanese tradition and obsession with gift wrappings and packaging knows what I mean).</p>

<p>Good luck at any rate!</p>

<p>Zt, one of the two Amazon sellers lists the D3S as "Brand new, factory fresh. Full Nikon USA warranty. Authorized Nikon dealer.". The other is not indicated - you would have to contact them for details. KEH also has one listed on Amazon as Used, Like new. They are very reliable, offer a 2 month warranty and will also take any item back no questions asked if you are not happy with it.</p>

<p>I wouldn't want to purchase such an expensive camera without warranty. Just place an order at your local camera store (one which sells a lot of Nikon stuff) and you should have yours after a bit (2-4 weeks if it's similar to the situation in Finland). Normally when you buy something specialized it is standard to have to wait for a few weeks if not months. </p>

<p>I believe that any new Nikon product carries a worldwide warranty, but requires shipping to Nikon HQ in Japan for service. In order to have the camera repaired by Nikon USA (or Europe, or whatever), it needs to be bought in that market.</p>

<p>So you might need to pony up extra for for shipping and insurance and wait longer, but you should technically be warrantied.</p>

<p>This has been hashed over before. If you are a tourist or on a business travel trip, Nikon USA will honor the warranty on a Nikon product sold by a Nikon dealer anywhere in the world...just be prepared to provide a receipt (and maybe a copy of your airline ticket?) to prove the item was not imported to the USA by a dealer selling non-Nikon USA merchandise.</p>

<p>Your other option is hire a lawyer and take Nikon USA to court. One could only wonder what the outcome would be....? (For example: think the American consumer would put up with: "A Toyota automobile warranty is void if bought from any place but a Toyota dealership. No work (or parts available) to be done on a second-hand automobile or truck not sold through a Toyota dealership as a second-owner vehicle. Ha!)</p>

<p> </p>

thanks!

pls let's stick w the orig question and not discuss price, deals, etc. told that is not a factor and i am not looking for deals.

i need a new d3s or x ftom an auth. nikon dealer w nikon warranty.

did my homework on us websites but at the end those are gray products or not authorized dealers.

so question remain of getting one in hk airport or finding one in the us. need it for a trip to have it as a 3rd body for a

dedicated use.

any suggestion would be appreciated.

<p>Murphy's Camera is listed on Amazon as an authorized USA dealer and is listed on the Nikon website as an authorized dealer:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/Authorized_Dealers/Nikon_AuthDealers.pdf">http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/Authorized_Dealers/Nikon_AuthDealers.pdf</a></p>

<p>If you really want this camera, my suggestion is to grab it on Amazon (which also gives you exceptional purchase protection) now before someone else gets what might be the last one around!</p>

<p>Do yourself a favor: skip the possibility of wasting 3.5 hrs in HK to look for a high end camera as there is a high chance that either you will get scammed or will not have enough time to browse (I tried to do that while in the HK airport in the very same circumstance as the one you describe, yet I gave up after considering all the time needed to sort immigration out).</p>

<p>When you buy something so expensive, IMO you are much better off getting it from a domentic dealer you are familiar with, or at least one with a good reputation. Moreover, when the camera store knows that most likely you won't be a return customer and in fact you won't be in town for long to go after them should something goes wrong, they have all the incentives not to provide you the best service.</p>

<p>In other words, drive through (fly through?) serivce is fine if you are buying a hamburger and drinks. Buying top-of-the-line Nikon DSLRs is a different story.</p>

guys, you missing the point.

i am happy to paypal 10 dollars whoever points me first to a usa store that is an auth nikon usa dealer and has the d3s or

d3x in stock w nikon usa warranty and ready to ship monday w o/n delivery.

my only other option is hkg which i am calling at 0900 local.

amazon, google shopping, etc. often does not reflect actual availability, warranty, or auth dealership -- i called several of

those already.

best!

<p>FWIW Last year, I took the city air bus (A21, I believe) and not the MTR (faster) and I did the round trip to Mongkok in four hours but I shopped around for prices, bought parting souvenirs gifts and had a quick lunch. The actual bus ride one way is around 40 mins or so...Left luggage is on level 3, I think. </p>

<p> </p>