Home Printers for B&W

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by wayne_crider|4, Feb 10, 2013.

1. I'm looking for a mid level priced printer for good B&W output; Say in the $150 to $300 price range. This is to produce 4x5 and 4x6 prints for "spec" sale. If I do go above these sizes it will be purely personal stuff only on occasion. I'm not adverse to getting a used printer and installing different carts so that's another route I could go. The output is to be sold to music performance attendee's at low prices. I'm not looking to make a living off this, just enough to cover some expenses rather then absorb the continuous drain of film costs, developing and ice tea while behind the computer.

2. I'm not sure about suitability for b&w, but some HiTi printers are designed for use on location.

3. Wayne, I'm probably more than a little biased (having been until recently a Canon sales rep) but the Canon MG6220 is optimized for printing beautiful B&W prints, as it includes a gray ink tank. I've used and demonstrated this printer a lot, and the gray scale is indeed fantastic. Pro photographers snap these up for their cost effectiveness, as you should be able to find the MG6220 for $149 any day of the week. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it. Mike

4. Thanks Mike I'll look into that.

5. I recently bought a MG 6250 with six individual ink tanks. So far I've only used Epson glossy paper for my prints. Black and white prints do have a slight magenta tint but otherwise the printer has been worth the money.