Home at last! Glad to see this forum exists.

jay_.

Didn't know this forum existed until just now. Very glad to see that

there is interest in people *using* classic cameras not just putting

them on display. I use Leica IIIa (1937), IIIf (1950), M4's (1970),

Rollei 2.8F Planar (1964), Speed Graphic (1956), Canonet (1969),

Nikon FTn's (1968-70), and a lonely Exakta from the 60's. I'm hoping

that there will be enough interest worldwide in these magnificent

picture-making machines that entrepreneurs will see a profit motive

in continuing to manufacture film and/or modify them for digital so

that we can keep on exercising our right to free choice of photo gear

into the future.

I also have had a great deal of experience with good sources for

repair of these classics if anyone needs recommendations.

<i>I've seen very few pictures made with the pioneering 35mm slr cameras, and would really like to see some examples of what you have done with it.</i><p>

I have a few pictures taken with an Exa II, back in 1974 or so, but I'd have to scan them from my high school yearbook that year...

My absolute first camera was a Tower box camera (120 film; 6x9 or 6x7 I think, no ability to focus, no aperture setting, no shutter speed) but it did have two little waist level viewfinders (about 1"x1/2"). One for portrait shots and one for landscape. I still have it but one of the chrome rollers that the film ran over has gone missing and the red window where you saw the frame numbers has fallen out. I hate to think what the lens must look like because the viewfinders are pockmarked with fungus!!

I remember holding a pair of binoculars to the lens opening trying to get telephoto and, it worked...more or less (if you don't count horrible vignetting).

There was a time when EVERYBODY shot medium format!

<b><i>"My absolute first camera was a Tower box camera..."</i></b>

<br>

<br>Hey Meryl, I've got one of those, or at least I think so. Kind of hard to know since the Tower name was slapped on so many cameras. Mine is also missing the red window. If I find a replacement, I may turn the Tower into a pinhole camera as it has a Bulb shutter setting.

<br>   

My first was a Baby Brownie, followed in short order by a Brownie Hawkeye Flash. Don't know what happened to either of those, but I now have two Hawkeye Flashes, and I've done many pictures with them in the past year or so, some of which are posted in my "<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=229971">Out of the Box</a>" folder.

Chip, what's wrong with calling an SRT-101 a classic? It was one of the most functional, durable, ergonomic, and practical cameras of it's era, and it remained in production for nearly a decade, which is practically unheard-of today. Even today, it is still one of the finest cameras of this type ever made, and can be entirely practical to use even now.

For a basic, manual focus, TTL-metering match-needle SLR, there's not much more that one could want (altough I personally preferred to have some of the added features of the SRT-102).

In his book "Collecting Classic SLRs", Ivor Matanle is very enthusiastic about the SRT series so you would seem to be in good company, Douglas. I once owned a SR1S which was a very nice camera but hell on wheels to find lenses for in the UK at the time (early seventies). If a nice 101 came up at the right price, I'd be tempted.