Homage

Edwin Barkdoll

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand liking the b/w version more. It brings out the graphic elements, it has a starkness and also a ring of classicism. It’s your photo and you should get out of it what you want. 

I prefer the color version because I find  it brings out the theatrical side of the photo. In color, it takes on a staged and playful warmth as opposed to the colder feel of the black and white. I find the color adds a degree of humor, the pinks, oranges, and greens almost absurdly whimsical. It feels like a big tomato in a Broadway doll house. 

Having seen the color version, one recommendation I’d have for the b/w is to work on the lighting behind the transom windows above the center door as well as behind the two high side windows. The orange glows add depth and energy and that is being dropped in the b/w. The backdrop feels significantly flatter in the b/w to me. 

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

23 hours ago, samstevens said:

I can understand liking the b/w version more. It brings out the graphic elements, it has a starkness and also a ring of classicism. It’s your photo and you should get out of it what you want. 

I prefer the color version because I find  it brings out the theatrical side of the photo. In color, it takes on a staged and playful warmth as opposed to the colder feel of the black and white. I find the color adds a degree of humor, the pinks, oranges, and greens almost absurdly whimsical. It feels like a big tomato in a Broadway doll house. 

Having seen the color version, one recommendation I’d have for the b/w is to work on the lighting behind the transom windows above the center door as well as behind the two high side windows. The orange glows add depth and energy and that is being dropped in the b/w. The backdrop feels significantly flatter in the b/w to me. 

Thanks for your comments, Sam. The point about the backdrop through the transom is spot on. I'll work on that.

Test

On 10/13/2022 at 1:16 PM, Edwin Barkdoll said:

Here's the color version. Personally, I find it weaker than BW; perhaps I should have used a red tomato!

1407249955_850_8474YellowtomatoontableinfrontofFrenchdoorsx1500.thumb.jpg.1b5e8637aac4e771e4b87b7bba58afb0.jpg

Whoa! Much better than I imagined it would be. I like all the across-the-board similarities in the color palette, and it seems to glow- a quality lacking for sure in the B/W version. This brings the otherwise unnoticed aspects (outside the miniature room) way more into the scene. 
I’m unsure if the tomato is more or less pronounced in color BUT the tomato’s color is perfect here.

I liked the originally posted shot very much and it does have that classic surrealist look-  but this has its own undeniable merit. 

Edited by Ricochetrider

22 hours ago, Ricochetrider said:

Whoa! Much better than I imagined it would be. I like all the across-the-board similarities in the color palette, and it seems to glow- a quality lacking for sure in the B/W version. This brings the otherwise unnoticed aspects (outside the miniature room) way more into the scene. 
I’m unsure if the tomato is more or less pronounced in color BUT the tomato’s color is perfect here.

I liked the originally posted shot very much and it does have that classic surrealist look-  but this has its own undeniable merit. 

Thanks for your comments, RR–they lead me to appreciate the color version more than I did.

• Like 1
Test

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, httpwww.photo.netbarry said:

I love the concept and well done. Shot well.  I think a tighter crop would make it better.  The extra info on the edges to me distract from monumentalizing the tomato on its pedistal.

Thanks, Barry. I see what you mean about there being a bit of extraneous info on the edges.

Test