Holiday photographer branded terror threat

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/content/camden/hamhigh/news/story.aspx?brand=NorthLondon24&category=Newshamhigh&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newshamhigh&itemid=WeED16%20Mar%202007%2011%3A20%3A22%3A910

*** QUOTE ***

Holiday photographer branded terror threat

editorial@hamhigh.co.uk

16 March 2007

Katie Davies

A TEACHER was stopped from taking holiday snaps at King's Cross station - in

case he was a terrorist.

[Moderator - quotes are OK, reproducing full articles is a violation of copyright. Rest of article removed]

*** END QUOTE ***

Everytime I think things might be getting better, they get worse again.

This may sound unsettling but it's nothing new. There has been a blanket ban on unauthorised photography of railway stations and all railway bridges and structures in the UK for many years. I think it came in during WW2. It's not consistently imposed so many people are unaware of it.

Unsettling, silly and pointless.

While I can appreciate the paranoia and fear at King's Cross given the terrible events of July 2005, none of these "security" measures like banning obviously innocent photography by members of the general public at railway stations, bridges, airports, and other public places decrease the terror threat one iota. It's all about optics.

Not to mention the fact that during that unpleasantness, the police solicited and relied upon the digital photographs taken by member of the public before, during, and after by means of cell phone cameras, digicams, and so on. It was even remarked that the public is becoming a valuable 'witness' in the documentary sense in cases like that.

I am sorry to see such apparently thoughtless and knee-jerk reactions to serious problems.

I am sure there is someone out there reading this, thinking "Well, if it makes us safer, then I don't see the problem." The problem being, of course, that no one can seem to explain in what manner it makes us safer.

Hi,

Brian; " There has been a blanket ban on unauthorised photography of railway stations and all railway bridges and structures in the UK for many years. I think it came in during WW2. It's not consistently imposed so many people are unaware of it"

This sounds like utter nonsense to me. I have been an active railway enthusiast and railway photographer for the last 35 years. Until about 8 years ago I photographed stations, bridges, trains, in fact anything with NO issues from staff, railway police or anyone EVER.

Please give evidence you have for the statement you made, because there are no railway staff who are aware of the ban you speak of either...

cheers Steve.

This is just plain stupidity. The people who are going to blow up railway stations will not advertise themselves by openly photographing them. If they did want a photograph they'd use a mobile 'phone with built-in camera. When I was younger, railway enthusiasts used to wander all over the railways taking pictures - I was one - none of us ever blew anything up.

<I>"Our policy is anyone who wants to turn up in our stations to photograph needs permission."</i><P>

Nice quote. Where'd it come from? And does it apply in the UK?<P>

"Nothing to see here!" ....Officer Bar Brady from South Park