Holgas ever have 2 apertures???

<p>Just took delivery of a Holga 120 GN today. Was impressed by the generally better workmanship over my older basic Holgas... foam cushioning for the film chamber, the latches all seem to work well out of the box, everything tight... then I flipped the aperture to Sunny and see that once again, there is no second aperture stop in the damn thing. Why can't they just add that little peice????<br>

Anyway, wondering if anyone has ever gotten a Holga with an actual second apeture installed from the factory?<br>

I guess it's really nice that they install the little pallet thing to make it so easy to add your own secondary aperture, but cummon!<br>

Excited to try out the glass lens, but damn, I'm sick of screwing with things before I can actually use them!</p>

<p>I think I read somewhere that the "pallet" that slides over is actually the f/8 aperture, but the f/11 aperture is the one thats permanent. But hey, it's a Holga. What did you expect? I was thinking that maybe the manufacturers were trying to subtly say "it don't matter anyways, just go shoot something".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it don't matter anyways, just go shoot something</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><strong>That</strong> </em> is the spirit of Lomo, the spirit of Diana, of all these cheap plastic cameras.<br>

Stick film in, point, click shutter, accept light leaks, weird distortions, it is all part of the randomizing element that makes this kind of photography what it is.</p>

<p>I myself just bought a rare 35mm <em>Time</em> camera in original packaging. This was given away years ago when you subscribed to the magazine. As soon as I get it, I'm going to pop open the intact cellophane (how I hate to do it, but I <strong>have</strong> to shoot with it) and fill it with film and capture 35mm pictures that are unparalleled, maybe. In any case, stay tuned, I should have it by next week.</p>

<p>Mark, if having several apertures to work with is important to you, you might check out the Diana's and the many many clones. My old "HI-Flash" clone is an exact replica of the Diana F, has 3 apertures - but gives 4x4 size negs. (The newer Diana Deluxe gives 6x6). One Model, I believe the Diana+ has 3 apertures plus pinhole! .....</p><div>00SnuT-117695584.jpg.7d5b22a92cb12bf06efeb4a090cda8e0.jpg</div>

<p>Mark, just remembered that there's a simple procedure to get the 2nd aperture to work in your Holga. Its better described here : <a href="http://www.squarefrog.co.uk">www.squarefrog.co.uk</a> Click on 'Aperture modes'<br>

Or of course, you can send it to Randy at <a href="http://www.holgamods.com">www.holgamods.com</a><br>

Hope this helps....good luck</p>

<p>thanks all! I was just curious if I was just unlucky or what. If they went through all the effort to add a bulb setting and tripod mount, but didn't include the specified apertures, why bother?</p>

<p>anyway, I've modded a few Holgas before, so I'm looking forward to doing it again. :)</p>

<p>I just haven't decided whether to make the added aperture f16 or f22.</p>

<p>For the record, focusing and minor exposure control make the cameras more usable, otherwise I'd just shoot a Hawkeye or something.</p>

<p>Back when I was a kid I got a Diana F... then in art school I was issued another... I'm not willing to pay the going rate for another. I got suckered into the Holga GN because I saw too many images that I actually liked... damnit! Toy cameras really aren't my style...</p>

<p>Who cares? It is a Holge You zone focus you point you shoot ... You then use photo shop to help.. if you over expose... and I get more over than under... LOL the main point is to just shoot and enjoy.</p>

<p> I take my holgas out with my Kiev 88 and Kiev 6s I relax with the Holga after all the light metering with the other 2 cameras.</p>

<p>selecting between sunny and cloudy is hardly an imposition on the Holga experience... it just nets you some better tonality when you go to print... and with XP-2 Super or some other fast film, f8 & ~1/100th is way way over-exposed... so the dreadful muddy prints I'd get would take away most of my enjoyment... I'm not trying to get a cheap Hasselblad out of it or anything!</p>

<p>:)<br>

>>Who cares? It is a Holge You zone focus you point you shoot ... You then use photo shop to help.. if you over expose... and I get more over than under... LOL the main point is to just shoot and enjoy.</p>

<p>All through college one of the cameras i used was an old Ansco sure shot box camera, 6x7 neg and only 1 switch. did wonders, and i loved the big negatives, i still pull it out once in a while. I found at a garage sale a Zeiss box camera from maybe the same era, but it had 3 or 4 apertures and 3 or 4 shutter speeds, and boy i thought it was going to take my photos to a whole new level working where the Ansco wouldn't. I don't think i ever guessed the exposure right more than 4 or 5 times, i just got roll after roll of improperly exposed negatives. The mechanics seemed to be working fine, but for whatever reason, i just never got the knack of using it. sometimes simpler is better i suppose is the point of my post. </p>