Holga - Decent Camera for "Pictorial Effect"

I've recently become very interested in the old pictorial style of photography,

and was told that a Holga would give me similar results to what I wanted. How

true is this?

I'm considering purchasing a Holga for other reasons (experimentation mostly),

but I would need to get a scanner with a backlight wide enough to handle 120

film. (Not a large obstacle really, but financially depressing. :) )

Does anyone know of a gallery here or elsewhere that would demonstrate some

pictorial Holga usage? Thanks for your time.

Much love...

Sage

I've only got two shots in my gallery, but the Holga can do what you want, but so can a pinhole camera. The Holga varies from camera to camera so sometimes you need to do a little work on the lens to make it suffiently soft to get the effect you are talking about. You could also use a single or double +1 diopter 'filter' in a cardboard barrel. No shutter, but many of the pictorialists didn't have shutters, just a hat or a darkslide in front of the lens.

If you want to see an interesting book on making your own cameras and lenses check out "Primitive Photography : A Guide to Making Cameras, Lenses, and Calotypes" by Alan Greene. You can easily make a singlet, doublet, or even a triplet lens and get the pictorial feel you want, and the fun of building your own camera at the same time!

- Randy

No you can get a scanner for less than 100 bucks. Get a rebuilt Epson 3170 from epson.com Mine was $69.99 with free shipping I think they are now $79.99. As for the holga it is a piece of crapola and you can get something cheaper and better just go to any antique or second hand store and find an old bakelite or even metal camera that will take 120 or 620 film and use it. I recently payed 99 cents for a hawkeye flash. you can reroll 120 to the 620 spools but many 620 cameras will take 120 with no problem ... just try a roll and find out....

Here are some examples of what I have done if you wish to check them out.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=613547

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=610419

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=590813

The last ones were on a 35mm one of those cheap want to be and look like a SLR.

Larry<div>00H4SE-30806484.jpg.badd571ff721e3eaa7810c79ade53cf6.jpg</div>

I understand that the Holga isn't a GREAT camera, but (like probably anyone who owns a Holga) I'm considering the art first. Light leaks, lens discrepancies, etc are all secondary to me at this time. I'm not really looking to emulate Ansel and the f/64 crew (although if I lived in the proper area, I probably would). I'm welcoming the unexpected. From what I've seen lately, pictures taken with primitive cameras are the only ones interesting me lately, and I want to dabble in that side of things for now.

Randall on the other hand has got me twitching. I'm going to search for that book on Amazon now. I actually came across some DIY camera kits on lomography.com. Should I hold any interest? I would love to get into pinhole (SOON!!)... And they offer some pretty interesting contraptions. Of course, I've been told I can convert any camera into a pinhole. Including a Holga.

That is what drives me to use many differant films and developers and many cameras I find at the thrift store. Do check out the scanner from Epson.com. it changed my style and life. I was not knocking the Holga I was just offering other options. Please do what you want and getting a holga is great but i think that the price is way to high because they are "ART" cameras.

Larry<div>00H4X7-30809184.jpg.7aac852b2403ed1780fc11c128a1b8ce.jpg</div>

Check out http://www.holgamods.com/ They also have a good Gallery.

A Holga is a toy camera and is not intended to compete with standard camera systems.

I've used Holgas for a few years now and recently have a Holga lens adapted to my digital camera.

Holgamods also provides PinHolgas and body cap modifications to be used with Canon and Nikon digital cameras.

The digital camera Holga lens adapter will give a more pictorial effect than the 120 Holga film system, which can be surprisingly quite sharp in some cases.

Below is a portrait made under low light with the Holga lens on a digital camera.<div>00H4lr-30816984.jpg.160924044f92b5fae289190d6145db6e.jpg</div>

The digital Holga wouldn't be a bad idea except for the fact that I'm trying to convert my digital darkroom into an analog one. (I'm a bit backwards.) That coupled with the fact that I don't have a digital camera puts me in an awkward position. :)

I'm currently in love with "art" cameras as it was put. I have a few cheapies and carry at least one on me at all times loaded with either Tri-X or TMax 35. This week I am going to check out a local used camera store and possibly peruse other options. I know I will still buy a Holga, but you have all sparked my interest to check out the full spectrum of cameras.

Yes, funny how suddenly you find that everything you like seems to be done with a

particular style of camera. The Holga is fun and you can get a filter kit that softens

everything but the centre for "added dreaminess". As another postyer said, if you get it

right, it can be surprisingly sharp.

<P>

If you feel you need a bit more control, try a Lubitel. They're good fun too. Sharp enough

but soft wide open and take the same film as a Holga.

The new Holga 120N has reduced flare to a minimum, using some of the www.holgamods.com ideas, but the back still has a tendency to fall off, even just by the "weight" of the camera and strap! I devised a velcro back strap system that keeps the back on. It's also a good idea to put a bit of black tape over the counter hole if you use 400 speed film.

Have fun.

What I'm beginning to notice (though I'm new to photography as an art) is the less you put into/on/around the camera, the more artistic the effect.

Prior to my posting this message I had just learned about the Holga (though I am only 24 and a newbie). Since then, I have noticed/learned so much about the art of toy cameras and plastic fantastic devices that I'm almost happy I didn't buy that Rebel. :)

My next step would be to build my own 8x10 box camera and get into calotypes and pinholes etc. That was suggested earlier in the post, but I think I want to get my other printing/processing skills down first. (And justify all that darkroom stuff I bought.)

I thank you all for helping me justify cheap photography as a means of liberation. What's one's trash is another's treasure, eh? :)

I'm definitely looking to order an old school brownie (or make something similar). Great link to the camera store! :)

As an update... I just received my Holga. Haven't taken many shots yet, though I think I set the exposure counter to the wrong setting. I have the 6x6 mask in so all of the pics will probably be overlapped to no end. I'm fine with ruining my first set of shots though. It's all a learning experience.

I was told that if I was to buy an Diana to just get one of the clones. Sounds like a good idea to me since it is... well, a toy. :)

This is starting to become an obsession of sorts. I see why everyone has a Holga now. I'm actually now looking to buy a few more already, and I haven't even developed the first roll. One with a Polaroid back is certain!

'Everyone' does not have a Holga. When you have been into photography for a while you realize that it is a hobby fraught with 'fads' and 'obsessions'. The fact is the camera is the least important part of making a good picture. 'Artsy' or 'pictorial' effects can be achieved with ANY camera by using an endless array of techniques which are described in a countless number of books. Manipulations can be made both before and after the film exposure.

Christopher, thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth. :) I like testing the unknown. I also like to try things for myself. Combine the two and a personality still trying to find himself -- well, maybe buying a Holga isn't such a bad thing.

As for Fads... Thank god for Andy Warhol making fads a viable art form much before my time. I don't think I have much to worry about at this point. I must be on the right path to self-expression if someone is already criticizing my decisions before seeing my work. :)

I just received the latest isue of Shutterbug, and it contains a nice example of "pictoral" photograhy using a non-toy camera. I don't remember the woman's name, but she shoots simple compositions and bumps the camera slightly during the exposure. It produces soft, pastel images like some modern impressionists I've seen. It would be easy to overdo the technique (which some have also done to create their own pictoral effect), but her gentle touch does produce some pleasant results!

Dave

Gary, I haven't completely read all of the comments here, but <a href="http://www.lightleaks.org/">LightLeaks Magazine</a> showcases a lot of Holga work, and gives lots of info on the subject. It's very pricey for a magazine, but if you become a Holgaholic like some of us, you'll really appreciate this fine publication.<p>

Also, <a href="http://www.freestylephoto.biz/e_main.php">Freestyle Photo Supplies</a> is a very reputable place to order Holga merchandise at low prices.<div>00HCu4-31034184.jpg.bab3038593417f2a52d4a3c485dc8a9c.jpg</div>