History repeats itself

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by samstevens, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Thanks for sharing Sam.

"might notice when looking at the linked 1917 photos again is how the ones from a distance capture so much in terms of both narrative and feeling" Sam.

Distance or close there is a capture of feelings and emotions . A deepness for want of a better word....a feeling of a connection, to those who have walked before us.

2. "how the ones from a distance capture so much in terms of both narrative and feeling" Sam.

Why not? Are you conveying a message to folks who believe …." If you are not close enough, it is not good enough"

Its about the photo nothing else..

3. No. You only have to read my post to know that I was responding directly to something James wrote. It requires paying attention to the context in which something is written, that's all.

4. "It requires paying attention to the context in which something is written, that's all" Sam

;))

I will study my lesson much harder in future.

Don't want to have to sit in a corner with a dunces hat;)

dunces hat - Bing images

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  5. Roger G

Roger G Roger G

Ed can you provide references for this?

6. Sunlight destroys virus quickly, new govt. tests find, but experts say pandemic could last through summer

The UV found in sunlight kills COVID-19 on smooth surfaces within about 1-1/2 minutes. The virus survives only seconds on porous surfaces such as concrete. UV does not kill the virus in people, since it infects the respiratory system where sunlight or artificial UV cannot reach. Sunlight will also kill the virus in aerosols in about 60 minutes, which is far longer than human-generated aerosols will remain suspended.before being dissipated or evaporated. Dehydration also kills the virus.

I am surprised that scientific references (or any original sources) are so difficult to obtain on line. The press is obsessed with the fact that UV fails to cure the disease in humans, rather than how effective it is against contamination of surfaces. Contaminated surfaces can transmit the disease if touched, then you touch your mouth, nose or eyes. If that is your destiny, then you'll have to do it inside.

7. A friendly request to please stick to photography. Discussions of science and the virus itself might better be done in private or on other sites on the web. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    William Michael likes this.
  8. Also interesting to remember that 50 million people died in the pandemic

9. What’s interesting about that in the context of a post about photos of pandemics a century apart? [Please answer referencing the photos, as this is a photo forum.]

10. You can't just comment on their masks or weather or sharpness of the images. My answer could have been Tony's second sentence in his comment.

11. I agree. It's more interesting to look at the expression, the gestures, the camaraderie, the sadness, the hope, and so much else that's shown. The number of people affected is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the photos.