History repeats itself

I respond to the incredible sense and variety of humanity in these photos. Expressive eyes peering out from just above white masks, the gestures of unity even in death with the rows of crosses, people's seeming willingness to look at me directly and sincerely through decades of time, strength in sadness and tragedy, little pity and much empathy, respect. A lot is conveyed here when I open my mind to see.
  • Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

Interesting to see that outdoor activities were often encouraged, unlike the present situation.

Also interesting is that social distancing, even by two or three feet, was not generally practiced back then. Perhaps they thought that the masks would be completely effective?

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 1

Also interesting is that social distancing, even by two or three feet, was not generally practiced back then. Perhaps they thought that the masks would be completely effective?

100 years has taught us an almost immeasurable amount more about spread of illnesses - I'm actually impressed by how much they did understand or at least guessed at in 1918. We didn't actually see viruses until the 1930's when the electon microscope was introduced - viruses were only discovered scientifically (tobacco virus) in the 1890's, just 20 years before these photos.

• Like 3

madison6-copy.thumb.jpg.5cbfa7fa420d71d6715df224e5ef7f92.jpg Here is a Covid-19 virus attacking protestors at an Open Up Wisconsin rally in Madison, Wisconsin last Friday. I wanted to document the occasion so I masked and gloved up and tried to keep at least 20 of social distance from the protestors. About 75% of the protestors were not wearing masks or keeping
  • Like 1

Longer focal lengths and zooms now the norm for street photography? ...the social distance focal length - 300mm?

Sure why not? This is more documentary than street to me, and a 70-200 used to be a required lens for working photojournalist. Not to label what Tim is doing, but distancing is only smart and getting the shot is probably more important than some conventions, especially in these non-conventional times.

Sure why not? This is more documentary than street to me, and a 70-200 used to be a required lens for working photojournalist. Not to label what Tim is doing, but distancing is only smart and getting the shot is probably more important than some conventions, especially in these non-conventional times.

I took 750 images with over 600 using my 24-120mm and the rest with my 70-200mm. I am not a big fan of compression most of the time. I was able to maintain enough distance easily with my 24-120mm although "enough distance" is relative and time will tell if my precautions were correct. I photographed this as a personal documentary project. I am not a photojournalist so I didn't have to follow any rules regarding my output.

• Like 2

Longer focal lengths and zooms now the norm for street photography? ...the social distance focal length - 300mm?

I would think most street photography is more like 20mm to 100mm but there are some that go wider and some that go longer. I don't consider this photo to be a street photo.

Agreed, not a street photo. Do we know of any photographers taking images from the midst of these gatherings? These could be significant images. Wearing full hazmat might affect the work though, especially in terms of capturing close up facial expressions and body language. But maybe not, as wearing protective gear is in the conversation; although full hazmat on the extreme end.

Wearing full hazmat might affect the work though, especially in terms of capturing close up facial expressions and body language.

Maybe a photographer’s forced or self-imposed physical distancing, if it did affect the capturing of close up expressions and body language, would be just the ticket to convey the reality and essence of the situation.

As a matter of fact, in addition to being emotionally moved by them, one of the things you might notice when looking at the linked 1917 photos again is how the ones from a distance capture so much in terms of both narrative and feeling.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Thanks for sharing Sam.

"might notice when looking at the linked 1917 photos again is how the ones from a distance capture so much in terms of both narrative and feeling" Sam.

Distance or close there is a capture of feelings and emotions . A deepness for want of a better word....a feeling of a connection, to those who have walked before us.

Are you conveying a message to folks who believe …." If you are not close enough, it is not good enough"

No. You only have to read my post to know that I was responding directly to something James wrote. It requires paying attention to the context in which something is written, that's all.

"You talkin' to me?"