History, dissolution in perspective.

pavel_l.

Sorry, but it doesn't work for me. Two problems as I see it:

--the tonality of the leaves and the equipment is roughly the same. That obscures the equipment. It's hard to see where one ends and the other begins. You might be able to fix this by using color filters in your B&W conversion, to make the leaves lighter or darker than the equipment.

--there is too much of the trees at the top. It doesn't help the framing.

If this were mine, I would crop from the top and would probably end up leaving it in color, so that the rust color would stand out from the green leaves.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this for 'critique' @pavel_l! I enjoyed looking at the photo and giving you my thoughts. 'Critiques' - including this one - help me learn. So thanks for thise opportunity.

I like the subjects. The photo made me wonder why and how an old vehicle came to be placed on two huge slabs. An outdoor museum? A local initiative? Where did the slabs come from? So there's enough interesting stuff in the photo.

But for the final 'image' I agree with @paddler4. The 'objects of interest don't stand out enough from the background (lighting, tones, focal length). If the original photo was shot in color, you have some leverage in the B/W conversion. If not, some PP is possible to give more separation (tones, focal length) between the 'objects of interest' and the background. In summary, it's an interesting subject but I don't think that the photo - as it is - is particularly strong. IMHO you have better ones here and on 500px. According to the image data, the original photo was taken in 2016. I would spend my PP time on other, more recent photos.

Your photo made me realize that - even if you choose to use a classic (film) camera, shooting in color gives you a lot more flexibility in PP than shooting a B/W film.

Kind Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

Or you could do the opposite and, perhaps more unexpected, thing by working with the camouflage aspect. This might still ask for some tonal variety or working in color, but the goal would not necessarily be to highlight subject against background, but rather to bring out their interrelationship. You could call it something like ‘Nature-History Tangle’. Draw the viewer into the maze of shape, line and texture. Allow for enough differentiation for the viewer to get a grasp but not in the typical ‘subject-oriented’ way but rather allow the artificial and natural to play with each other as a whole.

"You talkin' to me?"

Sorry, but it doesn't work for me. Two problems as I see it:

--the tonality of the leaves and the equipment is roughly the same. That obscures the equipment. It's hard to see where one ends and the other begins. You might be able to fix this by using color filters in your B&W conversion, to make the leaves lighter or darker than the equipment.

--there is too much of the trees at the top. It doesn't help the framing.

If this were mine, I would crop from the top and would probably end up leaving it in color, so that the rust color would stand out from the green leaves.

Thank you paddler4 for your response.

You absolutely correct that color will separate the rusty equipment from the green background and B&W presentation completely blends these two elements together, that is why I call this composition the history that represented by this old machine become dissolved - almost unrecognizable from background on far away background.

I also agree that top of tree could be safely cropped out.

Cheers.

• Like 1

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

Thanks for posting this for 'critique' @pavel_l! I enjoyed looking at the photo and giving you my thoughts. 'Critiques' - including this one - help me learn. So thanks for thise opportunity.

I like the subjects. The photo made me wonder why and how an old vehicle came to be placed on two huge slabs. An outdoor museum? A local initiative? Where did the slabs come from? So there's enough interesting stuff in the photo.

But for the final 'image' I agree with @paddler4. The 'objects of interest don't stand out enough from the background (lighting, tones, focal length). If the original photo was shot in color, you have some leverage in the B/W conversion. If not, some PP is possible to give more separation (tones, focal length) between the 'objects of interest' and the background. In summary, it's an interesting subject but I don't think that the photo - as it is - is particularly strong. IMHO you have better ones here and on 500px. According to the image data, the original photo was taken in 2016. I would spend my PP time on other, more recent photos.

Your photo made me realize that - even if you choose to use a classic (film) camera, shooting in color gives you a lot more flexibility in PP than shooting a B/W film.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Thank you Mike for your response. I glad that you find my photo worth to think about.

I took this photo on early morning so the business/shop with the old machinery backyard was closed. The big slabs, if I recall correctly, may have something to do with tombstone raw material. I do not think that "age" of photos may be an obstacle for it's discussion.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Chris Frith.

Or you could do the opposite and, perhaps more unexpected, thing by working with the camouflage aspect. This might still ask for some tonal variety or working in color, but the goal would not necessarily be to highlight subject against background, but rather to bring out their interrelationship. You could call it something like ‘Nature-History Tangle’. Draw the viewer into the maze of shape, line and texture. Allow for enough differentiation for the viewer to get a grasp but not in the typical ‘subject-oriented’ way but rather allow the artificial and natural to play with each other as a whole.

Thank you Sam for your response.

This is one of the possible approaches that is closer to my interpretation.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Chris Frith.

Perhaps fill flash could have separated the antique from the back ground tree sufficiently to make the picture more easy on the eye. But not so much fill flash that would completely obliterate the existing shadows, but would just lighten them up a bit and provide a little more light on the main body of the antique and not be strong enough to light up the tree, thereby separating the two.

Perhaps fill flash could have separated the antique from the back ground tree sufficiently to make the picture more easy on the eye. But not so much fill flash that would completely obliterate the existing shadows, but would just lighten them up a bit and provide a little more light on the main body of the antique and not be strong enough to light up the tree, thereby separating the two.

Tank you kmac.

I agree that fill flash will help to separate machine from the tree, unfortunately I do not have the flash settings for my film gear.

Cheers.

Chris Frith.

• 3 weeks later...