Hiring Associate Photographers What do I need to know?

candice

Hello my business has taken on a life of its own and I am bringing on associate photographers to shoot weddings

for me.

For those out there who use associates I have a few questions.

1. I am looking for associate shooter contracts (for the photographer). I want to see a few examples of

contracts you give to your associate photographer (if you would be so kind to share). I

meet with my attorney and realize I needed a better idea to what the content should contain.

2. How much of a price break do you give your clients for an associate photographer.

3. I am thinking of providing my associates with lender CF cards, so I know, A: there is enough card to shoot

the event in RAW and B so I know the cards are new and in good working order. Is that something that you offer.

4. As of now I require the last 30-40% of payment to be make the day of the wedding. This is always via check,

but I do worry about the risk of an associate losing it. Do you allow your associates to collect final payment?

5. For weddings I shoot, I collect the files via laptop at the wedding from my second shooters and give them

payment at the end of day. If I am using an associate I am assuming I will need to let he/she to take one of my

laptops and collect the images from the second shooter and give the second shooter his/her check. How do you

handle the second shooter of an associate?

6. Do you offer sections of your website dedicated to showing associates work?

Thank you for reading this short novel. LOL Your help is very much appreciated. I do thank you for your time in

helping me with this new expansion of my business.

Best wishes Candice

[Moderator note: email addresses should not be included in forum posts and this one was removed. Please feel free to

contact Candice by clicking on her name for her contact information. Signature links to posts are not allowed which

used to be in the Terms of Use but when it was changed it was, unfortunately left out. A new FAQ and posting

Guidlines page is in the works. Meanwhile the only time we allow links to your websites or even your portfolio is

when when you are asking for a critique. Those posts have a life of only 15 days.

Last names are not allowed - your last name is in the forum post as a link. - thanks ;-) ]

I work on a contract to a studio (as an associate, if you like). I formally owned the studio, my position might be

useful to you:

1. I am employed for a flat fee. My company bills the studio. I carry my own insurance. I assign all copyright of the

Wedding Images to the studio.

I am not interested in building a (separate) portfolio of my work, but if I were, I would be able to enter into an

arrangement to use some of the images I took to show as my work, provided I gave the studio a credit.

Any other than general details I think might be useless, as I guess you are located in the USA: Employment and Tax

Laws are different. The point I am making is: I am NOT an employee of the studio. I think that point is important for

you to consider.

2. The studio gives no reduction of fee to the client if I shoot the Wedding or if the Owner (or one of his employees)

shoots the Wedding.

3. I use cards (and film) supplied by the studio. As an aside: I also have a access to a spare 30D (which I do take)

and some lenses (which I do not generally use).

4. I do not handle any of the money, even though I would assume I would be trusted doing so. The studios` billing

structure does not require payments collected on the day.

However, in regard to you situation I would think a cheque would be safe enough to allow collection: I am not familiar

with your laws regarding cheques, but ours laws render them virtually worthless if the drawer deems to stop

payment. But perhaps you are referring to a `Bank Cheque` I think you guys call it a `Cashier`s Check` now that is

different. My feeling on that is if it is an open cheque, i.e. can be cashed at the bank, it is kinda like carrying cash,

isn`t it? I would give that a lot of thought. Perhaps you need to rethink your payment structure.

5. I carry enough cards (and film) to shoot two weddings. (i.e. that which is provided for me and what are mine,

which I also carry and would not hesitate to use if needed). I usually work Saturdays only and hand over the cards

and film that evening, or Sunday or Monday, depending upon logistics. I send an invoice an get paid either Monday or

Tuesday. I would not be interested in downloading files from the cards: to me that is like developing film . . . I just

hand over the cards, and the exposed 120.

6. I do not want a section of any website, but if I did, I would not want a portion of another`s. If I still owned the Studio

I would not want an Associate filing work under their own name on my website or studio window. (see point 1).

Obviously I have a good working relationship. That has been built up over time, and the fact that I know the studio

and its workings: you should take into account. Also you should consider that I am not a beginner, as such, and

wanting to do this work to build a portfolio or to go into my own business: you might consider this second aspect

when interviewing.

Also the relationship I have, allows for an interchange of lenses and cameras: as I mentioned, I usually always have

a 30D with me which the studio supplies as my backup to my 20D and 5D, I occasionally borrow a lens, but not very

often. I mention this by way of the fact that having similar systems has advantages.

WW