Hindsight is 2020

JDMvW

Nikon N2020 (F501)

Nikon-N2020-1.jpg.e71aa2580f8bf79bdf8cd81fdad0659a.jpg

I had done an earlier report on this camera as a part of my investigations of early autofocus cameras (Nikon N2020 (F-501 outside North America)).

However the advent of a new decade (more or less) inclined me to present a little more of the background information on this camera. After all, it's now 2020!

As Wiki puts it "first successful autofocus SLR camera sold by the Nikon Corporation beginning in 1986"

Like the other major (and a few lesser) makers had done, the steps toward autofocus were halting (). Some of the first "point and shoot" AF cameras used active focus systems like infrared or even echo location. However, the Minolta Maxxum () was the one that "encouraged" the others. However, as told in that essay, Minolta made some missteps and the torch was up for grabs.

One of the things that Nikon and its "-istas" are very proud of is the persistence of the F-mount from its earliest days to just now. This is true insofar as the diameter and some mechanical parts are concerned, but as an old non-AI Nikon user like myself can testify, the true interchangeability of the various incarnations of the F-mount lenses is not altogether simple (see lists of what can be mounted on what). I am not alone in having gone to Canon EOS when I went digital in 2004.

In 1986, Nikon's first affordable and really useable AF on the N2020 was ahead of Canon. but the electric EOS system of 1987 has, I think most non-Fan Boys would agree, turned out to be the more forward solution when compared to the "screwing" around of the Nikon system. The actual history of the Nikon AF systems suggests that Nikon themselves would agree.

WIKI

"Like all Nikon SLRs, the F-501 accepts Nikon's F-mount lenses, but will only autofocus with lenses designated "AF." Likewise, fully automatic exposure will only work with AI-S type lenses, including many autofocus lenses (G-type lenses are not supported by the F-501). In both cases, the camera will function with lenses without these abilities, but will not autofocus or may not have full auto exposure capabilities. AF lenses designated "D" add no functionality to the F-501, and "AF-S" and "VR" lenses will not perform their special functions if attached to an F-501. "

However, all that was in the future. In 1986, the AF system on the N2020 was plenty good enough.

Nikon-N2020-ad-1986-10--PP.jpg.70768907dfec79fc5179a84593292424.jpg

Buying a N2020 today ?

- I have got several different copies of the N2020 and some lenses. In doing my series on the early AF cameras, this was the only one that I had to get additional copies because the AF had partially or completely failed. I did not have this problem with the later Nikon AF cameras. However, it will serve as an excellent AF assist camera even with partial failure of the little screw....

Happy New Year!

• Like 4

I'm less old than some, older than most, and have been shooting AI and pre-AI Nikon since the mid-seventies, starting with a hand-me-down Nikkormat EL from my Dad, and the notorious Nikkor 43-86mm/3.5, with all of its flare and ghosting issues. Now, some 45 years later, and having lately transitioned to digital, I don't rue the decision to stick with the Nikon brand. The lenses I have from days of yore are all AI or AI-converted, and function just fine on either my D7100 or D810. However, other than the legacy Micro-Nikkor 55mm/2.8, my older Nikkor lenses cannot hold a candle to excellent, modern Nikkor lenses I've acquired since going digital. The D810 is more camera than I ever expect to outgrow, though I may well wear it out. The major improvements in smart-phone-based cameras makes it highly unlikely I'll ever see the need for a smaller box simply for snapshots. I am yearning for the big buffer of a D500, but that's more a want than a need.

In regards JDM's discussion of the N2020 and early AF efforts, I was a dirt-poor college student with a wife and young kids all through the early days of AF development, so I didn't have the opportunity to play in that pool. I don't own a screw-drive lens, though both my D810 and D7100 will accommodate, and I'm unlikely to buy one now that I'm sufficiently established to afford newer models. It's interesting, though, to see the development of these technologies through the eyes of those who experienced it firsthand. Thanks for sharing, JDM!

Nikon made some of the greatest cameras ever... and a few of the most pointless. This one is more in the direction of 'very good', and so you can't really knock it. I mean, how thoughtful are those AE-L and AF-L buttons? It's almost like... they know what photographers want?

I've never, ever, ever liked Canon's approach to camera controls on the EOS system. Nikon had it right all the way up to the F4. The 35mm EOS cameras had advantages, though. The digital ones, not so much.

Nikon's greatest mistake IMHO was a branding one, not a technological one. They let themselves be tempted by lower priced cameras. Uh-uh. Bad idea. There should have never been a cheap Nikon. Affordable, yes. Cheap, no. And some of their compacts were awful, too.

Interesting history of the N2020 JDM even though I would like to forget I ever owned one. I would also like to forget I owned a N4004. I don't think I ever took a good photo with either one and I blame the camera 100 percent of course. I had a couple of 8008's and those were OK until I bought a D70 which I still think is a great camera. The reds and greens out of the D70 were Kodachrome like in my opinion. Someone just gave me a mint D70 kit so I am going to do some shooting with it for old times sake. My old D70 is sitting on a shelf with a blown sensor and obviously not worth fixing. The acronym BGLOD is one I will never forget. The blinking green light of death did in my D70's sensor after two years and Nikon replaced it no charge. Unfortunately it failed a few years later therefore sits forlornly on a shelf reminding me of how fun it was to have my first digital camera. Many of my young photographer friends ask me when I am going to replace the D750 I have had for over 4 years and what I am going to replace it with. I wonder about that also and will probably get the D760/780 rumored to be available early this year. I thought about the Z series but probably won't go in that direction. Mirrorless is great and is the future of digital cameras but my future is now and I really don't want to waste time learning a new system. Happy New Year to everyone!