Hilarious but very unpleasant surprise: You can admire yourself!

Just out of curiosity, I tried to "admire" one of my own pictures. And you know what? It worked! But with this shocking fact the whole concept of admiring and applauding etc. now seems rather absurd and irrelevant, don't you think?

I hope the technical department behind this site as soon as possible comes up with an efficient solution that makes it impossible to vote for your own photos. Ideally, also makes it impossible to e.g. make several independent fake profiles originating from the same person, so they can not vote for each other ad absurdum et nauseam?

Admin:

Well thanks Admin for your answer. So at least a little bit can be done. Here in Denmark we have a saying though, that goes like, “Opportunity makes thieves.” In other words, wouldn’t it be better to construct the system and software in such a way that abuse is made impossible and you are not at all able to vote for yourself? Is that so hard to set the software in such a way?

John:

Maybe at first glance it seems absurd to admire your own pictures since there is no chocolate handed out to the most beloved. But I think that the amount of attention your pictures get has an influence on how well they are doing e.g. in the "trending" category. And I guess there is actually at least an indirect effect, voting yourself “up” in the charts, giving other people (and potential customers) a very favorable impression of you: That you must be an awesome photographer since so many people obviously have admired your pictures. And respect leads to orders. And an order placed with one photographer in this way could have gone to in reality a better and more deserving photographer, but it didn’t. Why? because of deception plain and simple. In principle a bad thing – chocolates or no chocoloates, wouldn’t you agree?

By the way John, remember earlier this year our little talk about not receiving our prizes for the different competitions we had won? I have still not received my expected three different prizes in spite of reminders to admin from me. How about you?

Edited by philip_carlo_jorgensen

it amazes me that a door was left open and a kid got punished for opening it. seems the same situation with self admiring. in programming, usually things like that are labeled as SOFTWARE BUGS, so why punish the users for your errors?

prize was promised to be delivered in two weeks...

The more you say, the less people listen.

it amazes me that a door was left open and a kid got punished for opening it. seems the same situation with self admiring. in programming, usually things like that are labeled as SOFTWARE BUGS, so why punish the users for your errors?

prize was promised to be delivered in two weeks...

Thanks for your interest and support Paul. But in all fairness I have to point out that the problems with not receiving my prizes and my futile reminders took place now many months before I just the other day accidentally found out that it was possible to "open the door" for unjustified "admiration". But thanks anyways for your support.

hahahahaha thats the longest 2 weeks ive ever seen.... 7 months? but they're on it.

on another site i once frequented, youd get brigged for several days if you posted blank messages. this blank message phenomina was due to their recent upgrades. everyone caught tried explaining to the admins it wasnt intentional, the screen would freeze and for some reason post a blank post. clearly a software bug! instead of fixing the problem, people were repeadely punished and eventually if you accrued too many violations, your account was terminated. not only terminated but ip blocked.

so the self admire situation here and the admin responce about punishing people just hit a nerve. fix your stupid problem! what ever happened to customer care? if anything, they should thank you for uncovering a bug in their system... maybe give you a prize for it?

flag those accounts that self indulge in over admiring themselves - it helps us weed out the folks who like to play the system. They get warned then banned.

i started a portfolio here but got frustrated maintaining it. portfolios tend to get stale fast. besides, im not looking to impress anyone. i instead post in no words, it keeps me busy looking for material and seeing others work, keeps the gray matter pink.