Hey, gang -

Looking for help on the actual backdrop itself -- that is, the

quality/manufacture/material.... I've been using a 12x20 white vinyl-coated

drop from Backdrop Outlet for the last two years. Holds up generally well,

except that it picks up tons of footprints and scuffs (even when we have

clients wipe shoes, etc., etc). Have used white seamless paper, and same

problem. Hit upon using a 'floor' of melamine (2 @ 4x8ft) for high wear &

tear use; simply sweep/wash/remove scuffs as needed.... But then I have a

seam to deal with (tape, PShop clone tool, etc... ugh).

Need the ability to work head to foot, not just head & shoulders.

A year of wear & tear, and I'm needing a new drop. $99 apiece, I believe, so

I'm wondering if I need to just chalk it up to consumables in my accounts...

Anyone have better success/solutions that are tried & true in their studios -

different materials, approach, manufacturer, source? I'm open to all and any

input -- hope to hear from you.

-Mike

The best I've found is to run your white background - be it paper, muslin, or coated - under a 4x8 white "bath panel". With proper lighting the panel will melt right into the background. They sell at Lowes or Home Depot for less than $20. The panel resists scuffs and such, is fairly easy to scrub clean if needed, and protects the background from considerable insult. White scuff-guard shoe polish can fill in any scratches and gouges pretty well, although arctic white auto touch-up paint works better. A panel can last about a year in heavy use, if you're careful with it. The drawback is the weight; be careful of your back.

I once ran into a photographer from California who used a stucco sweep (ie, cement over wire wall and curve, down to a concrete floor); she had the floor mopped and scrubbed every day and repainted every week or two, and had to have it stripped and recoated annually. A real white background fanatic, there.

I don't know if it's "right" But I have done school dances and fundraisers with my white muslin from backdrop outlet. It gets a little dirty at the time, never seems to show up in photo though. When I get home I just throw it in the wash for gentle cycle and it is still holding up after 2 years of this.

Jonathon Wilson <i>...often wondered how a big sheet of plexiglass would hold up...</i>

<p>

That could be a great idea. A quick search shows translucent white in both plexi/polycarbonate and PVC available around 1-USD/sq.ft; don't know about in large sizes, though. A few years ago I priced a 4x8 sheet of pebble finish vacuum-formable thermoplastic; I seem to recall it was around 250USD. The stuff they make suitcases from might work nicely.<p>

Clear Lexan polycarbonate with a scratch-resistant sulfonyl coating of some kind has been used around hockey rinks for decades. Kinda pricey, I'd imagine, but that could be the ultimate backdrop saver.<p>

PS, Mike: I realized that you could already be using the type of bath panel panel I suggested. My appologies if so. When I go to Lowes or HD for Melamine panels I come back with a 4x8 (closer to 50x98") slab of 3/4 MDF with plastic coating on one or both sides. We use it all over the place for custom shelving.

I use what we call a "Poor Man's Cyc". Buy inexpensive vinyl flooring 10-12 feet wide and

as long as you need to shoot a full figure on it. Flip the vinyl flooring over and paint the

backside white. It will take a few coats to start. When it gets really dirty, paint it white

again.