high dynamic range in photoshop 7.

I know photoshop CS2 has a feature that creates high dynamic range images from different exposures, but

how would I go about doing it in photoshop 7? Do I have to have CS2 or could I do it with layer masking

and other tools in 7? I've just recently started reading about HDR images, so I don't know much about it.

If anyone has any links to tutorials I would be eternally greatful if you'd post them. Thanks.

There are a few ways you can do this. One is by blending photos with different exposures using layer masks. It's time consuming, but it works well. Another way is by using a kind of contrast mask. It's easy, but doesn't look as good. It's great for bringing out some more detail in shadowed areas though. Copy your image onto a new layer. Click SHIFT-COMMAND-U (SHIFT-CONTROL-U, I think) to render that layer to greyscale. Invert it (COMMAND/CONTROL-I) and change the blend mode to Overlay or Soft Light. Adjust the opacity and you're there. This gives similar results to the Highlight/Shadows adjustment in CS2.

• 11 years later...

CS2 is a candidate for the Smithsonian, but even the latest version is no mach for dedicated software for rendering HDR images from bracketed exposures. I find HDR very useful for landscapes and interiors (anything not moving), so I tend to use it a lot. Nikon, Sony and presumably others allow you to shoot bracketed exposures with a single press of the shutter release, so most times it's not necessary to use a tripod. A dedicated program aligns hand-held shots effectively, as well as other operations. You don't always have the time to wait for perfect weather. HDR can render dramatic detail in dull, overcast skies, and in the deepest shadows.

For years I used Photomatix, and it's still a good program. However I switched to AuroraHD about a year ago, and much prefer it to Photomatix. AuroraHD has more natural appearing presets, and there are regular additions to the preset options. Unlike Photomatix and Photoshop, AuroraHD allows you to save the raw files, so they can be revisited for effects editing. Formerly Mac only, Aurora is now available for PC.