high dynamic range in photoshop 7.

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by spuality, Nov 30, 2006.

1. I know photoshop CS2 has a feature that creates high dynamic range images from different exposures, but
    how would I go about doing it in photoshop 7? Do I have to have CS2 or could I do it with layer masking
    and other tools in 7? I've just recently started reading about HDR images, so I don't know much about it.
    If anyone has any links to tutorials I would be eternally greatful if you'd post them. Thanks.

2. There are a few ways you can do this. One is by blending photos with different exposures using layer masks. It's time consuming, but it works well. Another way is by using a kind of contrast mask. It's easy, but doesn't look as good. It's great for bringing out some more detail in shadowed areas though. Copy your image onto a new layer. Click SHIFT-COMMAND-U (SHIFT-CONTROL-U, I think) to render that layer to greyscale. Invert it (COMMAND/CONTROL-I) and change the blend mode to Overlay or Soft Light. Adjust the opacity and you're there. This gives similar results to the Highlight/Shadows adjustment in CS2.

3. Have a look at this tutorial, http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml on Michael Reichmann's site.

4. I know photoshop CS6 has a feature that creates high dynamic range images from different exposures,

5. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator Staff Member

If your goal is just to do it rather than do it in PS, you can get the Nik Collection from DxO for free. The HDR plugin is excellent.

6. CS2 is a candidate for the Smithsonian, but even the latest version is no mach for dedicated software for rendering HDR images from bracketed exposures. I find HDR very useful for landscapes and interiors (anything not moving), so I tend to use it a lot. Nikon, Sony and presumably others allow you to shoot bracketed exposures with a single press of the shutter release, so most times it's not necessary to use a tripod. A dedicated program aligns hand-held shots effectively, as well as other operations. You don't always have the time to wait for perfect weather. HDR can render dramatic detail in dull, overcast skies, and in the deepest shadows.

For years I used Photomatix, and it's still a good program. However I switched to AuroraHD about a year ago, and much prefer it to Photomatix. AuroraHD has more natural appearing presets, and there are regular additions to the preset options. Unlike Photomatix and Photoshop, AuroraHD allows you to save the raw files, so they can be revisited for effects editing. Formerly Mac only, Aurora is now available for PC.

7. I would use a dedicated hdr program for it. I use Photomatix Pro. It's easy to create presets with it and which you can then apply for batchprocessing a folder of bracketed images (The recommended workflow for that would be that you bracket exposures and then after importing all the files on your computer/Lightroom you create another folder for which you manually select the exposures from all the bracketed sets to use for batch processing each image. 5 exposures is better but I use and make multiple 3 exposure brackets, so 3 exposures per image that I select and put in the folder for batchprocessing.)

HDR Tutorial - Learn how to create natural looking HDR images