High definition film development

Here is my project: to come up with a highly defined print using the best black and white film/developer

combination. I need to find a photo lab in the US that can give me that kind of development-- perhaps using

DiXactol on a low-ISO black and white film. What recommendation can you make for a lab that does that kind of

work? Most limit you to D-76 and that won't work on this kind of project. If you are familiar with Barry

Thornton's work--that is the kind of print I am aiming for. FYI-- I am an experienced b&w photographer with four

decades of experience in photojournalism and have developed most of my own prints. I am looking for a lab that

can handle this particular project. Thanks.

You don't say how large your print needs to be or what format you want to shoot. If you just need a print of a certain size then using a medium format or large format camera will be the easiest way to get there. If you are shooting with 35mm equipment then you can use a document type film like Kodak Imagelink HQ film along with a low contrast developer. With the right lens and a film like Imagelink you can certainly keep fine detail in a fairly large print. The problem is that the EI will be very low so this kind of combination is only good for very slow moving or non-moving subjects.

• 2 weeks later...