High contrast photos are called???

<p>I've always associated photos with white whites and black blacks (and little or nothing in between) as high contrast, meaning the range between the black and the white is high. <br /> Photos that were mostly shades of gray were low contrast because their range in contrast was low. <br /><br />Tri-X 400 for high contrast and Tri-X Pan for low contrast.<br /><br />That kind of blows my mind. ...I may not be able to sleep tonight. lol</p>

<p>Perhaps "hard" is the term you're looking for? Hard lighting? Hard contrast?</p>

<p>All modern B&W films are panchromatic. I know Tri-X was reformulated recently, but I think it was to make the grain structure finer. I wouldn't necessarily expect contrast differences.</p>

<p>The high contrast of Tri-X (or any B&W film, really) comes from push-processing (reducing exposure and increasing development time). Pushed to ISO 1600, Tri-X can give you extremely hard contrast.</p>

<p>John .. I agree with your definition of high contrast but Jame's of hi key ... but your high contrast does not have to be 'soot and whitewash' and can contain graduations between.</p>

<p>perhaps S&W is an answer for you? :-)</p>

<p>Well, if a picture is worth a thousand words then here are three thousand words.</p>

<p><em>high contrast</em><br>

<a title="like tiny bubbles the dreams of a child fly free by f/otographer, on Flickr" href=" like tiny bubbles the dreams of a child fly free src="https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7271072652_8067d85f2c_c.jpg" alt="like tiny bubbles the dreams of a child fly free" width="800" height="534" /></a></p>

<p><em>hi key</em><br>

<a title="portrait of a boy by f/otographer, on Flickr" href=" portrait of a boy src="https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8466/8088539770_48bc18b3a6_c.jpg" alt="portrait of a boy" width="534" height="800" /></a></p>

<p><em>low key</em><br>

<a title="a self portrait by f/otographer, on Flickr" href=" a self portrait src="https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7315/10702284074_2d358eb4d7_c.jpg" alt="a self portrait" width="534" height="800" /></a></p>

<p>It could be argued that my hi key example is a little more hi contrast then hi key, but its the best hi key image I have. It should really be more over exposed but works for display purposes I suppose.</p>

I really don't see any high-key photos here. For examples, simply google "high key photos" and

select the Images option. High key means details are in the highlights.

High contrast photos are called... high contrast.

www.citysnaps.net

• 1 year later...