High Altitude Developing

<p>This has probably been discussed, but I live at 7,000 ft in the Rockies. I have had success enlarging, partly because if I blow it, I can try again. But I want to get back into B&W film developing and you really only get one chance. Other than trying a few rolls of "test" photos around my yard, any suggestions?</p>

<p>TIA - Gordon</p>

<p>What John A said. You are perhaps misled by the fact that at 7000ft (2100m), atmospheric pressure is usually lower, so the boiling point of water is lower. It takes longer for you to cook pasta or boil an egg than it would at sea level. This has no effect on chemical reactions which take place at 68F (20C), so develop away.</p>

<p>AFAIK, the only big change with altitude is the boiling point of water will be lower. This means if you don't tightly cap your liquid chemicals the water will evaporate from them at a greater rate, although this may not be signficantly faster. But, possibly, since the partial pressure of oxygen is less at altitude, chemicals that oxidize easily (Dektol, FX-39) might keep a little better.</p>