Hexar RF only Rangefinder body with built in motor drive?

yog_sothoth

<p>So, while shooting with some Contax SLRs and a Canon 7 I decided that I really prefer the size and focusing of the rangefinder but I really preferred the motor drive and AE mode on the SLR. I thought that surely there must be a screwmount or M mount body with a motor drive. As it turns out, even the M7 and Zeiss Ikon have manual film advancement. You can buy an add on motor drive for a Leica, but that adds a lot of bulk.</p>

<p>So far I have found the Hexar RF has a motor drive and AE mode and the Leningrad has a spring-driven system and no AE mode. Am I missing something? It looks as if my hope for an AE motor driven rangefinder yields exactly one choice. </p>

<p>Correct, although the M6TTL/M7 with the motor-M is a great combination allowing up to 3fps I think. The motor-M is a slim add on and really improves the functionality of the good old manual advance particularly when shooting in portrait mode as the hand grip is great. Once I had mine attached, I never took it off.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I should mention that I have some LTM lenses that I really like, so a LTM or M body is ideal. My black and white images taken with more modern Contax lenses and low grain film tend to look like desaturated digital pictures, and I can get that look easily enough with a digital camera. The old LTM lenses have a different look to them. </p>

<p>I would love an M7 with an M Motor drive. That does look ideal, but is out of my price range. I can meditate on getting an M6 now and an M motor later. The M6 does not have AE, but does have metered manual. </p>

<p>The Xpan is a great catch, and it does meet the criteria. The lenses are slower, but the format is very interesting. My LTM lenses would not be able to take advantage of the format.</p>

<p>The Contax G cameras are also very interesting. The 45 f2 is one of the best lenses tested by photodo. </p>

<p>The real choice IMHO is between an M6 or a Hexar RF. Both are pretty tempting. The G2 is also a possibility, but it doesn't take LTM lenses.</p>

<p>Servicing of an M6 with motor drive will likely continue many years, which may be a positive factor. The case of servicing on the Hexar RF is less sure and parts may be a problem. I've owned both (but not the M winder) and didn't have a problem with either over 5 to 10 years of only moderate use. The Hexar RF is a great camera, quite underrated in its time. If you can find a well cared for example, it is a very fine photographic instrument.</p>

<p>I have the Hexar RF with 28, 50 and 90mm lenses. I got it before I got my M6. It is a very fine film camera and as Arthur says was not greatly appreciated in its time. Solidly built, etc. I used the lenses on my Leica bodies and now with adaptors on my X Pro 1. But I haven't used film for quite some while. Perhaps I should go back for old times sake! The RF never caused me any trouble, unlike the M7 which had to go back to Leica several times!</p>