Hewes Reels-How have I missed them?

I have a couple of Nikor 120 reels I've been using for years, but my 35mm reels have been an assortment of no-names for a while.

I've not had any issue with the no-names aside from the fact that they seem to bend with the slightest provocation, and once they're bent I consider them junk.

In any case, when I bought my Focomat V35 last week, it came with a two-reel tank with reels in it, but I didn't pay much attention to it. I needed some clean, dry reels last night so just tossed these in my changing bag without really even looking at them.

All I can say is that even just handling them, my immediate reaction was "wow." They are MUCH sturdier than the no-name 35s, and feel and handle every bit like my 120 Nikors. Like the Nikors, they seem to just load themselves.

After I was finished processing, I looked enough and saw the Hewes tag on the center clip. I had heard of Hewes reels before(usually lumped in with Nikor and Omega) but I guess I hadn't paid much attention in my used equipment hunts. I also don't generally look for darkroom equipment these days-I just buy it if decent looking stuff comes up and I can use it.

Also, as a British car owner, I have to say I'm amazed at the fact that the Hewes branded tank they were in leaks less than pretty much any other SS tank I've used :) . My workhorse tank is a two-reel Omega with a stainless lid, but it does "weep" a bit around the seam.

I've only used Nikkor reels, and they are GREAT, once you learned to load them.

I never used the clip in the center of the Nikkor 35mm reels, so the teeth on the Hewes does not buy me anything.

We used to run a strip of masking tape around the cap, to seal it and keep the cap from 'accidentally' opening during agitation.