Here's hoping the forthcoming FF will have it all.

michael_kuhne

<p>Including a built-in flash, and finally a standard flash sync of at least 1/250 sec. It should not be a design based on already soon-to-be-obsolete technology. it should have a cutting edge sensor type, and around 40 or 42MP. All in a body about the size/weight of the K20D would be appealing. </p>

<p>The fact that I already have numerous highly-rated lenses of FF design for film use, has got me thinking about the possibilities a FF DSLR may offer, instead of always having to go to film to use them in the perspective of their original angle of view.. </p>

<p>I hope you are right, for no other reason than to see Pentax establish itself in the FF market. Personally, I'm more than happy with Dx. Are there times when a 10mm lens isn't wide enough on Dx? Not for me. I can't remember that happening. I'm still giddy shooting my K3, and I'm still more than happy with my K20 when I'm not shooting in the dark.</p>

<p>The rumors & prototypes I've seen mentioned to date suggest no built-in flash. With K-3ii, there's some flimsy excuse of integrated GPS...I have to think it should be quite possible to incorporate both.</p>

<p>Assuming Pentax doesn't include the RTF...it's a shame that the AF-201FG appears not to include wireless-PTTL support. I kind of like the look of the AF-201FG but it's still a little too simple (also no HSS). One of the nice things about having RTF is use as wireless commander. It kind of stinks to need a flash as large and costly as AF-360FGZ to act as commander. I continue to wish that Pentax would make a model in-between that takes 2xAA's (or possibly Li-ion) but is full-featured, similar to Olympus FL-36...sort of a mini AF-360FGZ ii. Sacrifice a little power and recycle speed for size & weight.</p>

<p>Can someone enlighten me as to why 1/250 shutter is so important? It's only a 1/2 stop difference vs. 1/180...if 1/180 means shutter can last longer, be quieter, perhaps produce less vibration and at the same time cost less...it might be worth that economy.</p>

<p>I wonder whether Pentax should pursue what some other cameramakers have done -- two models with different sensors. I'm thinking that a significant number of users would prefer something like 24mp with bigger photosites and less processing burden, while others would want max resolution. Either that or split the difference with something like 32mp (no idea whether there is a current sensor of this resolution available).</p>

<p>Personally I will watch with great interest but am unlikely to be an early adopter. I hope FF system development doesn't bring product development for other Pentax/Ricoh systems (APS-C, Q, 645, GR) to a screeching halt.</p>

<p>John-I'm there with you. After dragging my K3 across Australia, and never taking the best care of it, I am still STUNNED about what I can get with that camera. My widest lenses are the 12-24 and 15mm f4, and for the most part they are wide enough. There has been the odd time a wider lens would have been nice , especially for a few of the tight landscapes, but that's the exception not the rule.<br>

I can't say I'll be an early adapter either. I just sold 4 lenses so I could afford the 150-450 which better meets my travel needs. Unless there suddenly is a market for old film camera, I simply won't have the cash for such a purchase.<br>

But I will note, I really CAN'T see myself getting a body without a popup flash. With a small portable diffuser on the K3, I have been able to get stunning night macro shots. A camera without one would be a deal breaker for me. I don't really need GPS. I have it on the WG-3 and can't say I've ever had a need for it. I can imagine why some people might want/need it, just that isn't me.</p>

<p>And yes, I wish there was something a little smaller and more full featured than the 360 for dual flash macro situations. But I can always experiment with what I have.</p>

<p>I'd love a FF Pentax - in M42 mount a la Spotmatic with full aperture auto stop down. :) Stop down metering is OK for me.</p>

<p>I always felt that Pentax made a huge mistake with the K mount in that it can't stop down M42 auto lenses. Rollie got it right with the Rollei 35 & SL 2000 F QBM bayonet mount. The Rollei M42 QBM adapter came in an auto stop down version.</p>

<p>Now I know that any new FF Pentax will be in K mount. I'm ok with that as long as they figure out a way to auto stop down M42 lenses with an adapter.</p>

<p>My main film SLRs are Olympus OM-1 and OM-2 bodies but I still have my two Pentax SL bodies & 28mm, 35mm, 50mm f/1.4, and 105mm SMC Takumars. They are hard to beat.</p>

<p>I've seen reference to a new sensor technology with better light-gathering, with lower noise while having higher MPs. I think even so, a 50MP model as Canon has introduced, would still require much more noise reduction and thus lose the added resolution in the process, while producing huge files. This new type of sensor at 40-or 42 MPs might be the answer. A significant jump in resolution, with good noise performance and resolution at higher ISO. With FF, more MPs are needed anyway to equal or better the resolution within the frame compared to APS-C models with less MPs.</p>

<p>I actually agree with John and Doug, I am very happy with the performance of both my K-5 II and K20D, and the fine lenses I have been using with them. I cannot see logic in getting a big, heavy, expensive 70-200mm f/2.8 for FF use, for instance, since tele work is advantageous when using a high-quality APS-C body. I would certainly prefer using my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 at a fraction the weight and size. If I got the 70-200mm f/2.8, I'd put it to APS-C use anyway, where it would be like a 100-300mm f/2.8 lens. And my DA 12-24mm f/4 is a great wide angle lens.</p>

<p>My interest is in using my very fine, fast FA 35mm f/2 again as a wide angle instead of "normal". Hard to find a wide angle that fast and that good for APS-C. The famous FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited would also be more intriguing for me on a FF DSLR. My DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited is a wonderful lens, being so compact- I love it, but it ain't f/1.8! And, the 31mm has lower distortion. For a WA zoom, if I only have the FF model along, my old but very fine Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 II (well-built, metal body) has given me excellent film shots. My fast FA 50mm f/1.4 and F 50mm f/1.8 (I got both years ago new but very cheap!), which I've been occasionally using as fast short tele lenses will again be "normal", as will my fast wide-normal 43mm f/1.9 Limited. My really good Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 will give me a 24mm wide angle again instead of 36mm, if I need that. If I need a fast mid zoom with more tele emphasis, my old, fine Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 Pro II goes back into action. No need to even think about the DA* 16-50mm. I do also have excellent AF tele lenses of FF design, which sometimes may be better used on a FF body if the distance I'm shooting from will frame better that way- DA* 200mm f/2.8 and FA* 300mm f/4.5 primes.</p>

<p>A really good FF model meeting my expectations would certainly open new doors in the wide angle fast lens category and offer more flexibility, along with the APS-C models I have been using, especially since I already have these lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A couple of comments--I haven't used the built in flash on my cameras in the last ten years, so I wouldn't miss it if Pentax leaves it out of their FF model(s). I also have no interest in built in GPS either, so I'd be happy if they simply made the camera a little smaller, lighter and cheaper by subtracting those features. As for a higher flash sync speed, in my studio work I never had a problem with 1/60 on older film cameras, let alone the 1/180 that Pentax has had on their DSLRs, so I would much rather have a quieter, more vibration free shutter than faster sync speeds. These are my preferences, and I realize that others have different needs. Marketing to people who think they have to have every "pro" feature is another question, so I doubt that my version will get made by Pentax or anyone else.<br>

Finally, I am also a very happy K3 owner. The resolution of lenses like my Pentax 100 macro, Sigma 70 macro and others really comes through, and the VR in the body works extremely well, as evidenced by hand held shots with a Pentax 50 - 135 that I shot last week of a theater performance at 1/30 and 1/60 zoomed in to 135. With the occasional exception of extreme/fast wide angles, DX meets my needs quite well.</p>

<p>I'm with Matt, I'll probably go with the 645D before jumping on the FF band wagon. I went through that with the Canon 5D and no my photography did not improve by %200.</p>

<p>To my surprise, I winded up using my Canon 30D (1.6X) much more than I did my FF 5D, because it was faster, lighter and was under 2000 bucks.</p>

<p>Of course there were some advantages using the 5D, better resolution, finer gradation between shades, better cropping, more 3D type pictures because of the increase DOF, angle of view, no more complicated calculations trying to figure out which lens to use due to the crop factor.</p>

<p>Overall it depended a lot of what type of photography you were into. Full frame is great for landscapes, Macro, Stills and Portraits for anything else you can barely see the difference between cropped and full frame.</p>

<p>I just discovered the new Sony a7R II, which has a FF 42.4 MP back-illuminated sensor for improved lower noise at high ISO. Seems to me like this is now the cutting edge. To enter the FF arena, I think that would be a good thing for Pentax, if possible. Pentax may have to settle on less until this sensor or one similar becomes available for their use, if it is not now.</p>