<p>I have my monitor calibrated with a Spyder. I run CS2 and prefer Adobe RDB for the Working space, as it matches the output form my Epson R2400. What bugs me is the color conversion to web output. The default conversion color space I use is sRGB as it translates best to most monitors. Of course in the conversion the colors get washed out. I increase saturation by +21 to bring colors back and can probably create an action to automate, but must we always make a choice between print and web output as we work on images? This topic has been talked to death, but I think with no definitive answers.</p>

<p>As I'm sure someone has pointed out before (although I cannot find it) web versus print is comparing apples and oranges. The Physics involved in an image on screen (e.g. web) are completely different to those of a print (i.e. transmitted versus reflected light) so how can you expect the two to compare ?</p>

<p>You shouldn't have to change it that much. Are you converting, or <em>applying</em> the change in color space? What you're describing sounds like a typical Adobe RGB file being left in its original color space, and displayed as though it wer sRGB. That doesn't sound like a file that has actually been mapped over to the narrower space that most desktops/browsers use. The file might be stamped that way, but it doesn't sound like the actual remapping has taken place.</p>

<p>If you view an image with a color-managed application like Photoshop CS2, it makes very little difference which color space is used for that image. It makes a huge difference, however, if you view the same image in a non-color-managed application like Microsoft IE. In that case, using sRGB will give better results than Adobe RGB, because sRGB compressesses the image to have greater contrast and saturation.</p>

<p>The color space specifies which color the "numbers" in the image file represent. The same number has a different color in Adobe RGB than sRGB. Photoshop determines which color to use based on the embedded color space and makes the necessary corrections. Since sRGB is a smaller space than Adobe RGB, the same number will have greater saturation without this compensation. Adobe RGB images will usually appear flat and lifeless in IE.</p>

<p>Appearance should not noticably change when converting to sRGB. I suspect you somehow just assign the sRGB profile instead of doing a proper conversion. Check out this article: <a href="http://www.colormanagementinfo.com/page1/page10/page10.html">Assign vs Convert</a></p>

<p>That said, starting with CS3 Photoshop does this conversion for you, when you choose "Save for Web and Devices…"</p>

<p>Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. I don't do anything special at all. If I'm printing using my own printer, then I just configure the .tif file for the right output size and load the printer with photo paper. And the prints come out looking the same as they do on my monitor. If I'm having somebody else print my images, I just convert to .jpg but I don't downsize them. And the prints I get back look just like they do on my monitor.</p>

<p>Am I just lucky, or ? I'd rather not have to worry about all this color calibration stuff anyway.</p>

<p>when you CONVERT to you shouldn't see a switch that bad.. IF your image is correctly balanace and not over saturated to start with (common problem with many user).</p>

<p>When i do my conversion, the biggest problem append with the bright orange or the deep electric blue if any.. the rest just follow normally. A bit of saturation after the conversion could be add but 20% is a lot.</p>

<p>I dont use save for web, as i prefer and find the result with the normal image size routine + save as better for me, even if it mean a bigger file.. whe are talking about kb here not meg.. i can live with 150 kb instead of 80kb on my web site ; )</p>