Help with selecting a different camera

tony_estcourt

Ive been using a Wista 45SW for a couple of years now, it was my

first 5x4 camera and generally Ive been pleased with the results. As

expected it took some time getting into the swing (pardon the pun)

of using the thing, however a couple of handling problems just wont

go away and its enough to make me plan an upgrade for some time in

the future (in the next 10 years!).

Firstly viewing on the g/glass screen, Ive used dark-cloths and

various items from the wardrobe, Ive now settled on a large pair of

boxer shorts which I've found are the best solution. My ideal camera

would be one which accepted a fold-away screen similar to the toyo.

Wista make one but I dont think my model has the necessary back

fittings to accept it.

Secondly the front standard, when tilting is hinged at the base and

for speed my ideal camera would have on-axis tilts.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what other models to look

at? The Toyo field cameras look OK but I'm unsure whether they offer

on-axis front tilt.

I own and would highly recommend the Ebony 45S. The ground glass is bright and you can purchase an optional bellows focusing hood (see http://www.ebonycamera.com/acc.html) and toss the boxer shorts. Both the front and rear standards are on-axis. The camera is quite rigid, has extensive front and back movements, and accepts lenses from extreme wide angle to the Fujinon 400 telephoto without having to change bellows. And the mahogany version weighs less than 4 pounds, making it ideal for a field kit.

Believe it or not, the so-called axis front tilt may not be appreciably faster than a base tilt, because the axis of tilt will probably not go exactly through the optical axis of your lens. So you will still have to refocus, only just a smaller amount.

Also, I don't believe there is such a thing as a totally satisfactory focusing cloth (especially for those of us wearing spectacles). For me the BTZS hood is the best I've found so far.

My point is that replacing your Wista may just be trading the demons you know for the devil you don't know.

Linhof Technikas from the III forward have a fold away screen for focusing. However, I've always found it useless and continue to use a dark cloth (BTZS). The problem for me is that the four sides aren't metal, they're fabric, which means that it collapses when you exert enough pressure on it with your forehead to keep out the light. To avoid that you have to hold it open with one hand which lets a lot of light in plus it leaves only one hand with which to do everything else. I understand that the similar gadget on the old Graflex cameras was metal and I've read that these can be adapted to Technikas but I've never heard of someone actually doing it.

Screens vary a lot, the Maxwell is the best I've found, the BosScreen is a close second for about $100 less, the others I've used (OE Fresnels on two Ebonys and one Tachihara, Beattie, plain ground glass) weren't even close to the Maxwell and the BosScreen.

I recently saw a dark cloth called the "BlackJacket" that kept the ground glass darker than the BTZS cloth. It didn't have any openings and the camera back was accessed by putting your arms through two sleeves. I'm tempted to try one though the sleeves might take some getting used to and it isn't cheap (about $75 I think, a lot more than boxer shorts but almost certainly a lot better too).

Tony,

The dark cloth seems to be the worst part of shooting 4x5 and larger formats and is for me as well. I've considered glue on velcro strips to hold the two ends together, viewing hoods and Dykinga's elastic band method for one end, similar to your boxer shorts. I'm assuming they are unused, but still?

I rejected the elastic method being worried that when removing the cloth before shooting, it might jar the camera settings, especially if I had some tilt employed. Also, I change lenses a lot during set up trying to find the best possible composition and thought that would be a hassle.

The method that works for me is to go into a Zen-like dark cloth trance. I forget about wind blowing it away, although I do keep a finger or two on it when near cliff edges. I have visualized it blowing into the Grand Canyon at the most critical moment, necessitating the use of my briefs since I don't wear boxers. And they are white, not the best option.

I forget about the stray light entering at the bottom and sometimes loop the ends between the monorail and the bellows if it is windy or grab and hold the ends in one hand.

But putting these nuisances out of my mind doesn't allow them to frustrate me. They still exist but I just don't let them distract me from my purpose.

I currently use rear tilt so can't offer any help on that problem.

good luck,

Thanks for all the useful advice.

Bill - your comments on the "axis tilt" facility are a revelation, but they make sense!

At the back of the camera, it seems as though there is no perfect solution and I'm comforted by the fact that I'm not alone with this problem. The boxer shorts, by the way are un-used but add to the mystery that surrounds someone standing in the landscape with a large, old looking camera with their head in a pair of pants.

Boxer shorts! What a great idea!

Anything to add to the large-format photographer's mystique is fine by me!

Regarding movements, etc.: Jack Deardorff is making cameras again. Buy one from him. Get the 4x5 and 5x7 backs with it, and you're set.

With the larger bellows you get less bellows flare. With the rock solid construction you get decades of good use from the camera.

AND it has axis tilts on the front. I think they're the best-designed and best-made cameras in the world.

(No, I'm not affiliated with Deardorff, I'm just in love with their cameras....)