Having just spent 3 hours today with a legitimate Adobe tech support person with no solution to my problems with CC I can empathize but maybe the scam artists will be of more help. I would cheerfully trade the bells and whistles that CC has added for the reliability of older versions of Photoshop.

I had an issue with memory bloating in CC in Apple Catalina on a M1 Mac, and went into Adobe through its support portal and used the chat line. The guy who helped who happened to be from the Indian sub-continent, really knew his stuff and walked me through a step by step process that was pretty intricate and it solved the problem. Maybe you would have better luck going that route? But make sure you go in through the Adobe website.
  • Like 1

Info from the Adobe community (posted 2017):

Look up the support tel. nr. at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Alternatively:

Go to Adobe.Com

In top right of screen click Sign In

User your Adobe ID and password that is registered against your Acrobat Pro membership/license

At top of screen click Support link, and select Contact Adobe

Mike

I would cheerfully trade the bells and whistles that CC has added for the reliability of older versions of Photoshop.

Why not use an old stand alone version then? I'm still running a 2016(?) non CC version of PS on Win 7, with great stability and no interruptions while Windows Updates are applied at every startup and shutdown.

The only thing gained from an up-to-date version, as far as I can see, is ACR support for modern cameras. But that's easily fixed by using the RAW developer invariably supplied by the camera maker or by RAW Therapee.

"There is no Cloud, just somebody else's computer."

• Like 1

Gentlemen, thank you all for your suggestions. They paid off, with several hours of work. I spoke to an Indian guy at Adobe, and he stayed with me for two hours clearing the way for the program. But just as we got near payoff, we lost the phone connection. I called back and got an Indian lady. We worked for another hour, and got the download started. When it was

22% complete, a certain lady turned off the computer! Now I tried installing from the disc while I guarded the computer. Success at last. PSE 22 runs smoothly. although it is needlessly complicated. There's going to be a long learning curve. Unless you simply must have shake removal and fog dispersal, stick with what you have.

Like a number of contributors to this thread, I'm still using an old stand alone version (CS5, 2010). It does everything I need (and of course, much much more). It occurs to me that Photoshop and Elements have been over developed to the confusion of some users, and made difficult to install and transfer to new machines because of the subscription model.