Help with NJ bird ID, please.

andy_szeto

I took this picture last year and I thought it's some kind of sandpiper. But I look through all 40 species listed in Wikipedia and none of them match this one. Also I cannnot find it in the Audobon Birds app. Does any one know what kind of bird this is? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1914-s.thumb.jpg.5b6b15ed82d6206f4087fd4ba0308e2b.jpg

Andy,

Have you considered using a small bird book that you can put in your camera bag or backpack? It might be easier than an app on a device. I don't want to open an argument on the relative merits of app vs book. They are different things. I recall you mentioning difficulty finding a bird with the app in another post, hence my question about a book. There are some good regional (Eastern North America) books that are small. Once you become familiar with the layout of the book you may find it very useful. It's good in the moment to look at the bird and book to compare features.....I imagine that you try to do that with the app. I have a small version of Sibley's that tucks in the camera bag and it's never failed me. It's something to consider.

My approach was a little different - working for (sorry - 'employed by' !) Local Government, I used to sit and read the Collins Bird Guide (UK & Europe), which helped a great deal, until I was made redundant and could devote more time to photography and bird watching. The Pension helps, too !