Help with holster bag for d7000

allan_martin

<p>Hi there!<br>

Im looking for a holster bag for my d7000 + 70-300 + sb-700.<br>

Also looking for a bag with a clip rather than only zippers.<br>

So far ive found the lowe pro TOP loader 65 and 70.<br>

Im not sure though if the sb-700 would fit those front pockets, nor that they would fit the 7-300.<br>

Any ideas or recommendations?<br>

Which one should I pick?</p>

<p>Hmmm. When I think of a hoster bag, I think of a camera and a lens and nothing else. Adding the flash really limits the choices.</p>

<p>The closest I have found, is a Kata bag that has zipper AND a clip, so you could leave the zipper unzipped for fast access. Try looking at the sizes in this list:</p>

<p>http://www.kata-bags.us/Kata+Bag+Chooser/</p>

<p>Select Holster and view all. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Alternative solution for portability, have you considered a smaller flash? I have a Nissin (I think it's a Di28) that I've been known to put in the front pocket of a LowePro toploader, along with a flash cable. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in purely manual mode (which scuppered my plan of using its variable power mode via a PC-Sync cable), nor does it support CLS, but if you want a portable flash and a physical connection to the camera suffices, it may do well enough. (You could spend more and do the same with an SB-400.)<br />

<br />

It's no substitute for the SB-700 (I have several SB-600s, and there's no comparison even between them and the Di28 - which is why I've not used it for a while), but a big flash takes space.<br />

<br />

It's been a while since I looked through the range, but do any of LowePro's toploaders support SlipLock? You could always put the flash in an external lens case, if so. (The toploader I have has a belt loop that can be abused to act as a sliplock, if you don't mind the second container being sideways, but it's not really in the right place.) Doing this is a bit bulky - you're paying for spare padding between the camera and flash - but it might sort of work. Though how much smaller it would be than a small more conventional bag is another matter. LowePro's web site contains far too much content for me to be able to even look and suggest!<br />

<br />

Think Tank are also worth a look in general, though I don't know whether they have anything the size or shape you're looking for. Good luck.</p>

<p>Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW can easily fit Sony A700 with grip (or Sony A900) along with OpTech/USA pro strap ...

<ul><li>Minolta 5600 HS D flash and a small lens (Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 macro with hood reversed; Minolta 35 mm f/2 with hood deployed; Minolta 50 mm f/1.7 with hood deployed); or,

<li>Minolta 70-200 mm f/2.8 HS lens with hood reversed.

</ul>

<p>A separate lens|flash bag|pouch can also be attached to the side (T P 75 AW has a proper attachment on one side) if one desires. I did; had no problems.

<p>Following what parv. said above, I use a Lowepro 75AW toploader with a D7000, and that one will definitely hold the camera with a 70-300mm, even with the hood on the lens. I think the front pocket would also hold a normal sized shoe-mount flash unit (but with no spare space). I also have a slip-lock Lowepro lens case on one side of the bag to hold either the long telephoto or my walk-around 16-85mm lens when the telephoto is on the camera. This is a bigger bag than what you are considering, but I like the fact that it is long enough to leave the hood mounted on the lens. The case closes with a zipper, but you could get a plastic closure clip and sew it onto the case.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

Mine Lowepro ... 75 AW bag does have a clip as currently shown in an image (3rd from left) on Lowepro product website. Having mentioned that, I find use of clip to be too fiddly as it requires use of two hands. I only have to use both hands when opening the fully closed zipper & pulling out the camera. I can easily partially & fully close the zipper with one hand; can partially or fully open partially closed zipper.

According to internal dimensions provided by Kata & Lowepro, larger of Kata holster bags (Grip-18, Access-17, -18) have smaller horizontal area near the top than the Lowepro 75 AW. Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40 v2 & 50 v2 (I did not try or own any) have even larger horizontal area, in which Sony A900 with vertical grip would fit much better (than in Lowepro 75 AW).

For comparison: Sony A900 has size of 156 x 117 x 82 mm; Sony A700 has 142 x 105 x 80 mm; and, Nikon D7000 has 132 x 105 x 77 mm.

Do note that that the Kata hostler bags have unpadded bottom extension per description.

(And a correction that does not matter in this case: the zoom lens should have been "Minolta 80-200 mm f/2.8 HS" instead.)