help with e510 and slave

poetic photo by k. lynne

A friend gave me an old novatron 3 light strobe kit, with power pack which i

know nothing about. each light has a constant bulb, with a flash bulb behind

it. there is no plug in for the cord on the e510, a friend told me to get a

slave. someone else says i need a 2-part slave, one that fits on the shoe of

the camera, the other part fits on the power pack...im confused and have no

idea what to buy, can anyone help?

I suggest you Google the exact model of kit (with/without the word "review"; with the word "manual").

In the meantime, a traditional slave unit is triggered by the flash from the camera and fires the flash unit(s, if linked together). You don't need anything on the camera for that type.

The constant bulb is likely to be a modelling light to give a good idea of shadows to be thrown by the flash from that position.

I think your friend is correct, Kelly, in suggesting slaved flash and not messing with long cords to strangle yourself with and store and get adapters to fit the camera,etc. For a number of reasons we don't need to get into.

Without knowing what kind of plug your old power pack uses, it would be guessing to say which exact kind of optical slave to get. You can tell just by looking at the fitting on the pack of course...(several types of standard plugs include household two prong and microphone style one plug type. Figure that out first.) The on camera built in flash should-worth a try- to trigger an optical slave on the power pack-I have experimented with those myself and they OK, better even is a small added low cost shoe flash aimed at the ceiling is another way. Optical slavery is the least expensive beginner approaches anyhow as the latest and greatest slave triggers use radio frequency transmission,but forget that for now. You will need to find out if the slave unit plug you buy for the pack is going to be conventional or a digital one is a consideration. Here is what I am saying: Digital adjusted slaves ignore the pre flashes that are generated by some camera systems,so you don't want premature triggering, if you follow me. You need to get that one figured out too. I can recommend a couple places to get intelligent info,even a place that will give you phone advice on all kinds of connectors:

http://www.paramountcords.com/default.asp

And the Wein company makes a rugged little optical slave receiver of various kinds. I would call B and H to get the right one identified for your pack and camera before you plunk down any money. Even if it means calling the distributor for Wein products.

Lots of choices in that department. As example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=Wein+slaves&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=productlist

Hope this is a little help,along with Harold's comment, in sorting out the possibilities. You can get away with a wired cord and a hot shoe to cord adapter...not the best way. Optical slave is a good approach at this point in your work methinks. This is how I trigger my small shoe flash with my particular power pack. Got to identify what style plug on the pack is first thing. And then ask about the regular or digital models. Got all that:-)?

• 2 weeks later...

If the E-510 has a way to put the built in flash in manual mode, you would only need a optical slave on the power pack.

I know the E-500 can do it, and I think the E-510 can also.

Novatron normally uses a House Hold type snyc.

The Novotron may also have a hight voltage snyc so the slave may be your best bet.

I you use your on camera flash in auto TTL the preflashses will trip the flash and you won't get an exposure.

I hope this helps