Help with color correction Please?

tura_adam

Hi there,

I recently took a chance to photograph my friend's wedding and discovered after the facts some of the photos

turned out to be red like cherry. Now, I have some experience in Photoshop and Lightroom to make minor color

correction but I have not been able to correct this one. Please suggest me how I should correct this photo using

either PS or Lightroom?

Here is my try with PS CS3.

Process

1. Color Balance using the dress

2. Apply Photo filter Cooling 82, 12%

3. Creat a mask for facial area using quick mask.

4. Apply More Cooling filter to facial area only 12%

5. Reduce Flash induced Viginetting using Lens correction filter

6. Adjust Contrast and Brighness<div>00Qtv4-71915684.jpg.8b46cc623105926533691c89b11eb793.jpg</div>

My process in PS:

1.Autolevels

2.Levels - bring the mid-tones up a bit

3.Hue/Saturation - hue slider to the right about 8 units to take the red into a more neutral zone

4. Duplicate layer - bring up the mids more on the background, then blend both layers using eraser. Flatten image.

5. Duplicate layer - apply diffuse glow to upper layer at around 30%. Flatten layers.

6. Add 5 units of saturation to bring back some warmth.

7. Levels - bring the highlights slider back to around 250 to bring back some detail in the dress; pull the left shadows slider in to give a bit more depth.

8. Save image.

Took me a lot longer typing than doing! My advice is that as well as aiming to improve the colour balance, never lose sight of the overall balance of tonal quality in an image. You could then set up an action to batch process a similar set of images to save you time.

Hope that helps.<div>00Qu6Q-71995584.jpg.1c3082a53acbee74739842ab8a33dc55.jpg</div>

Here's my version. I wonder what color space it was in- it didn't look right to begin with. I flipped through spaces using "assign profile" and assigned apple RGB before converting to SRGB for editing.

Then I set gray point using curves and got the image in the ballpark. I finally selected the dress and desaturated it.

Not wonderful but a bit better I think.

Roger<div>00QuKx-72089684.jpg.2142daeba9575a7aa1964a9eb6f32ca9.jpg</div>

This took me a little under 1 minute in Photoshop:

1 - Gray eyedropper in curves - selected a shadow on her dress to get my target neutral.

2 - Bumped up the RGB curve to give a little more brightness & contrast

3 - Make a hue/saturation layer - go into each individual drop-down option (each indiv. color), bring saturation way up to quickly see which pixels I'm affecting, then desaturate what shouldn't have a color cast.<div>00QuUZ-72141684.jpg.564cfd076da3cdc745c0de374d6387de.jpg</div>