accessories that I have. The accessories are as follows:

AF-ZOOM NIKKOR 70-210 / F4 - 5.6 Lens &

AF NIKKOR 50 / F1.4 Lens &

NIKON Speedlight Unit SB-24

I am an "amateur" and was looking at getting a used N80. Any

comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Angelo

Any of hte items you have are compatible with any of the Nikon cameras available on the market except that the nikon digitals require a DX flash for TTL metering. So given that, you need to decide what you actually want the camera to do? Since a camera body is a glorified piece of equipment that exposes and transports film,with other bells and whistles attached one camera body will give you the same result as another. You have to make the decision as to what type of photography you are planning to do.

Actually you can use those on all Nikon bodies (post AI anyway), since Nikon did not change their mount when going to AF. All nikon AF bodies from the F4 on will AF with them. The N80 is a great choice because it has a lot of usable features. You can try the SB-24, which should work quite well, to see if it fits your needs, and upgrade if it doesn't.

If you want the N80, get it. It sounds like you have lenses a little older than the current "D" models, and the SB24 is a little before the 3D matrix flash exposure which utilizes those "D" lenses. Big damn deal. That's all great stuff, and anyone would be hard-pressed to demonstrate that you would benefit in any measurable way from trading what you already have for something which you would have to spend (alot) more money on. Actually, that sounds like gear from the N6006, N8008s, and F4 era, (late Eighties); the flash is for sure. I use one on my N80. The N6006 is the predecesor of the N70 and N80, the N8008s, of the N90/N90s and F100, the F4, the pro "flagship" prior to the F5. You could get any of those used, but I really think the N80 would be the best value. Have fun.

Angelo,

First of all, decide what you want do in photography. You just want to take the occasional pictures of the family while on holiday? Get a basic consumer type Nikon AF body and spend the rest of your budget on film and a standard zoom.

If you're really into photography, and you may (ab)use the camera a bit more, you may consider a body that will give you more options on metering and manipulating the way a frame will be exposed to light. Get a used N90, a F100 (which I am the proud owner of) or maybe even something more sophisticated.

Remember two things: expensive bodies are no substites for talent.

A f5 is no more a light tight box that a second hand n60. Picture quality is made through optical quality, the Lens.

Arthur