I realize there are many professionals within this forum, however, I

do hope some will take time to share their experiences and wisdom in

this area.

Being relatively new to photography and Leica, studying the old and

modern masters, etc. I have become beyond all things rather

frustrated and demotivated as to the simple fact as to why people so

hate having their photo taken?!

I could understand if you are with the mafia for example, however,

this incorporates a small percentage of people.

Do people really feel they are so important that I truly care about

them!

There was a time where people enjoyed having it, now, as a result of,

perhaps the paparazzi, everyone seems to have a problem with it.

I realize that cultures paly a role, however, not by much. I have

traveled all over Europe and beyond, for lengths at a time, and the

only cultures I have never had a problem shooting are the naive and

innocent cultures where technology does not exist such as in most of

the world.

A recent thought, upon reading after the death of HCB, a post where

someone said, "Look this guy thinks he's HCB or something," when in

fact it was HCB (who related this story to a friend, and hence became

known) who use a handkerchief to cover his camera pretending he was

sneezing to get the shot.

Many may muse at this, however, I dont like it.

I go out with a hunter's mentality, yet I am not a thief. I do not

want to feel like one.

I read how great photographer make their subjects comfortable in a

variety of ways, yet, as a flaw of mine. I am not a people person. I

do not want to make love to them, and in 5minutes I will never

rembmer who they were who so moved me for whatever reason to capture

their image or whatever bit of reality I wished to capture.

so, indeed, I am genuinely frustrated and quite frankly saddened at

this stage of the game.

I do hope some are able to see the heart of what I am trying to get

at, I do not want to go on and on....it is truly disturbing me.

Is it the "paparrazi" that has ruined it for all?

Will this be a continued part of my learning curve and something one

must simply "get used to"?

Help, thoughts, advice and experience on this one post would be more

appreciated thatn any other you may contribute to.

Thanks.

Cebes in Europe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talking about strangers in the street that hate their photo taken?

I'm not sure if it's the paparazzi, but I do think it's the media sensationalizing it/us, and make us look like the bad guys once in awhile. It used to be a rare and highly respected craft that everyone cooperated with. I remember the sneers I suddenly started to get after Princess Dianna's death...from hero to zero in one incident.

It could be a few things. One thing I see here is a widespread wave of ignorance that has swept across the USA since the twin-towers incident. Everything from people being nervous about their security when their picture is being taken (how??? I don't get it) to them outright screaming "TERRORIST!" covering their face and running away from someone who points a camera at them (yes, I'm serious). People are ignorant and somehow think terrorists walk through parks taking photos of birds.

Two, maybe people are just self-conscious. I know I hate seeing photos of myself. People may see someone with a camera and think "AH! My hair is a mess.. and I have this old shirt on. I'm all sweaty from standing outside here. Now he's going to have me in a photo and be looking at me looking like a mess later." or maybe some people just don't feel confident enough about themselves and hate the idea of total strangers poring over their photos and staring at them in private later. Heck, that gives ME the creeps too.

Here's part of the problem...

You say the following things:

"Do people really feel they are so important that I truly care about them!" and

"I go out with a hunter's mentality" and

"I am not a people person." and finally,

"I do not want to make love to them, and in 5minutes I will never rembmer who they were who so moved me for whatever reason to capture their image or whatever bit of reality I wished to capture."

A little bit of respect, compassion and genuine interest goes a long way towards breaking down the barriers between strangers. Long enough that you might even be able to make a good photograph. If you "hunt" your subjects, they'll run... like prey usually does. If you don't "truly care about them" it's unlikely that they'll truly care about you, either. Finally, if you've forgotten what inspired you to make a picture 5 minutes after releasing the shutter, chances are you didn't capture much of anything. If you're not a people person, try wildlife or landscapes. Get interested in your subjects and you will make interesting photographs (sometimes!)

Simple answer: salesmanship.

If, you in your quest for a good photograph, lack any idea of how to handle the situation, you will gain zip. On the other hand, if you are somewhat relaxed and spend a bit of time in light conversation with your subject, the 'salesmanship' required will generally net you a decent time with your subject.

If you have a attitude, why do you expect your photo subject not to have a like attitude?

Many people believe that they look ugly in picture. I show camera shy people their picture on the small screen and help them understand that if they are relaxed they will look much better. Once they understand that I'm on their side and once they trust me not to publish embarassing shots, they forget about me and behave naturally.

The other thing that helps a lot is the photographers self assurance. If you look shy, people will notice and they will be more likely to challenge you. On the contrary, if you move around like you own the place people will take you for granted and leave you alone. Appearances go a long way !

I have to second Liam, lots of people like to have their photo taken

and published!

Photography is comunication and the way you comunicate with your

subjects is the second step on your way to people photographie.

The first step is what you comunicate. If you don't like the people

you want to shoot, why waste film?

I'm a bit introverted but I don't mind having my picture taken _if_ I know what it's for. These days it seems like there's just no limit to the disgusting things people are capable of, and Photoshop and the internet have really made it a field-day for anyone to do anything with an image and publish it for the entire world. So perhaps that accounts for some increase in suspiciousness (or call it paranoia if you want to). Derek's comment and Kevin's reference to Jay brings up a point too, that is, I remember his comments were always regarding someone potentially photographing his little daughter(s?)and I think that if I had small children today I would be a lot more suspicious of a stranger photographing them than I was back when my son was a boy, and maybe even protective to the point of calling the cops on someone for taking photos. I don't think I'd smack someone though, unless he smacked me first.

The worst place for carrying a camera, I've heard, is Jamaica. People threaten to beat you up even if you are just carrying a camera and never raise it to your eye.

So stay away from Jamaica if you want to take photos unmolested. If you like Jamaicans, just wait a little. They're all immigrating here, anyway. And here they will be less dangerous because not so concentrated.

Randy Skopar , sep 14, 2004; 04:13 p.m.: "<I>"The worst place for carrying a camera, I've heard, is Jamaica. People threaten to beat you up even if you are just carrying a camera and never raise it to your eye.

<P>So stay away from Jamaica if you want to take photos unmolested. If you like Jamaicans, just wait a little. They're all immigrating here, anyway. And here they will be less dangerous because not so concentrated."</I>

<P>I have read few comments that are as blatantly bigoted as this one.

<i>Do people really feel they are so important that I truly care about them! </i><br><br>

Why are you taking pictures of them then? <br><br>The biggest part of making good photographs (in any type of photography) is having a sincere interest in your subject. You don't seem to have any anything other than disdain for the people you photograph (even the ones you say don't mind - the "naive and innocent cultures where technology does not exist"). If you don't like people, are not interested in them, and have no respect for them, then you'll never make really good images of them.

Some people are very suspicious and hate to be photographed - you can take whoever you like in a public place. I find it rather amusing and absurd when people object. Someone told me I had to "contact their agent" before I could take their pic - priceless - especially as she was, as far as any of us could tell, a complete nonentity (like me) and skating in Central Park. Frankly life is too short to worry about such people. Most people I find do not mind, but they do often get suspicious if you look as though you are evil or going to make money off them. This is perfectly understandable, so just try and act an appear "normal". Some people still put up their hand to cover their face - god knows why, but there it is. Don't worry, it is not just you, it happens to all of us - just stay cool and another opportunity will come along 5 mins later.
Robin Smith

Hey Randy! I know lots of Jamaicans. My accountant and my hair stylist are Jamaican, a lot of my friends are Jamaican. I spent a dozen years of my life living with a lovely Jamaican woman and helped raise her two sons. They're some of the nicest friendliest people I've ever known. I've never had a problem with taking photographs of them, even candid casual shots. Where you got that impression from me no know!

Quite honestly when someone is taking your picture, you don't really have time to wonder whether they "sincerely appreciate you as a person" or just happen to want to take your shot because you are beautiful/hideous/weird or in Randy Heliar's case because you are of a "shockingly different" ethnicity. Few people really understand why they, as opposed to anyone else, needs to be in a picture when you do not know them so this reaction is quite understandable. I am asked many times who I'm taking the pics for, in other words if I am working for a magazine or paper. Sometimes I say yes, sometimes no. It is hard to tell what reaction saying one or the other will be. Sometimes I then get asked for "a cut" if I have said I do work for a magazine, sometimes it makes them a willing participant. Sometimes saying you are doing it "for yourself" makes them even more confused - it is often hard to explain to many why a sane person wants pics of complete strangers. Usually I find by the time I have finished explaining the moment has passed. Nevertheless, I personally find many people like to be photographed especially if they are in a happy mood.
Robin Smith

Being photographed turns the subject from a person to an image or an object. So I can understand some reluctance to be photographed by strangers. Then again, what can you do with the photographs? Most publishers these days want model releases from anyone recognizable. As for Jamaica, it has a wide diversity of people and places. I generally ask, if only by pointing at the camera and then at the subject. I think I had only one person refuse on my last trip to Jamaica. All general statements, including this one, are false.

<i>The worst place for carrying a camera, I've heard,</i><p>

"I've heard." It's worth pointing out that some of the worst posts here come from people willing to talk in total ignorance of their subject.<p>

"I've heard" plenty of things too, but I don't go out and repeat them, along with their underlying racist assumptions, until I've experienced it myself.